yeovil people

John Greenwell Raymond

Glove Manufacturer


John Greenwell Raymond was born in Yeovil on 23 May 1850 and baptised 12 June 1850 at St John's church. He was the son of glove manufacturer William Raymond (1822-1903) and Anne née Greenwell (1827-1891).  At the time of his birth, the family were living in Back Kingston (today's Higher Kingston). His uncles were both glove manufacturers - Edward Raymond and Cuthbert Raymond.

In the 1851 census William and Anne were living at Green Quarry with two-year-old daughter Lucy Anna and 10-month-old son John, together with a female servant. William gave his occupation as leather glove cutter while Ann, listed as Anna, gave her occupation as dressmaker.

In the 1861 census William and Ann were recorded living in Commercial Buildings, Middle Street, photographed below. With them were children Lucy Ann aged 12, John Greenwell aged 10, Frederick William aged nine, Henry Francis, known as Frank, aged five, Edith Agnes aged three and Edward Lancelot aged two months. Also living with them was William's mother-in-law, Mary Greenwell, and a female servant. William gave his occupation as 'Leather Dresser & Leather Glove Manufacturer employing 26 men, 12 boys & 300 women'. In 1866 William was listed as a glove manufacturer of Vicarage Street in the Post Office Directory of that year.

By 1871 William had moved his family to Church House, Church Street, the six children were joined by an additional daughter, Alice. William described his occupation as 'Kid Glove Manufacturer' and his sons, John and Frederick, both gave their occupations as assistants to their father. Both the 1875 Post Office Directory and Whitby's 1882 Yeovil Almanack Advertiser listed William Raymond & Son, Glove Manufacturers of Vicarage Street. The 'Son' in the company of William Raymond & Son was William's son Henry (Frank), since Whitby's Yeovil Almanack Advertiser of 1882 listed his other son, John G Raymond, as a glove manufacturer of 58 South Street.

In the 1881 census William, now aged 59, listed his occupation as 'Glove Manufacturer employing 17 men, 10 boys, 600 women' at his glove factory, while 25-year-old Henry (Frank), who worked with his father, listed his occupation as Glove Manufacturer. John however, a life-long bachelor aged 30 and still living with his parents, listed his occupation as 'Glove Manufacturer employing 30 men, 60 boys, 300 women' at his South Street glove factory.

Ann died early in 1891, aged 63, and in the following census William was described as a 69-year-old widower, giving his occupation as glove manufacturer as did his son John, who was living with him. Also living with him in Church House were Lucy now aged 42, Edith aged 38 and Alice aged 28 as well as two domestic servants.

In 1897 John was appointed as a Borough Magistrate. His father had been appointed to the bench in 1894.

In 1901 the Raymonds were still in Church House, but by now 79-year old William was listed as a retired glove manufacturer while 50-year old John was listed simply as a glove manufacturer. Edith, Alice and two servants were also in residence.

William Raymond died in Yeovil in early 1903 and in the 1911 census John, still at Church House, was listed as the head of the family and gave his occupation as a glove manufacturer. Living with his was his sister Edith, a cook and a housemaid.

On retiring, John moved to Weymouth, Dorset, and lived at 48 Greenhill with his younger brother Edward, a retired army tutor, a butler and a cook (71-year old Ferdinand Harrison and his 79-year old wife Maude).

John Raymond died at 48 Greenhill on 8 February 1941, aged 90. His will was proved in Bristol the following May and his estate was valued at £33,213 4s 1d (around £1.6 million at today's value).




John Raymond's 1850 baptism entry in St John's parish register. At the time, his parents were living in Back Kingston.


The surviving cottages of Green Quarry, where the Raymond family lived in the 1850s. Built in 1805 and photographed in 2014.


This photograph features in my book 'Yeovil - The Postcard Collection'.

A postcard of 1911 of Lower Middle Street looking towards the Triangle with the new Co-operative Society building built in 1910. The building at right was Commercial Buildings, home of the Raymond family during the 1860s. All the buildings at right were demolished for the Glovers Walk shopping precinct project of the 1960s.


This photograph features in my book 'Yeovil From Old Photographs'.

Church House, the home of John Raymond from the 1880s to his retirement in the early 20th century. Photographed about 1960.