yeovil at war

afs alternative fire station

Mudford Road

 


In 1938, as the Government prepared for what appeared to be inevitable conflict and that such conflict would almost certainly involve the use of bombing from the air, each Fire Authority was required to form an Auxiliary Fire Service (AFS), under the direction of the local Chief Fire Officer, but whose role was solely to prepare for the eventuality of war and for dealing with fires that would follow an air raid.

To overcome some of the earlier problems the fire service was again re-organised into the National Fire Service (NFS) bringing together the 16,000-plus fire brigades within the country. This force came into existence on the 18th August 1941 and all brigade and AFS personnel were transferred into it. The service was responsible, through regions, to the Home Office directly which meant that the chain of command was much simpler and the standardisation of training and equipment could be more efficient.

This Second World War Alternative Fire Station, in Mudford Road very close to the bend by Hundred Stone, is of brick construction with a tiled roof and additional post war extensions at both ends. On the northern side of the building there are a number of wooden sliding doors, which appear to be the original entrance to the building. There is a large open yard on the north side and in front of the building.

Immediately north of the yard an emergency water tank was located during the Second World War as an emergency water supply in case the water mains were destroyed by bombing.

See also 

Auxiliary / National Fire Service
Auxiliary Fire Service garage
Charles Gillard


Gallery





At the centre of this photograph is an 11,500 gallon circular emergency water tank, 7m in diameter, on the bend in Mudford Road close to Hundredstone Corner. Just below and to the right is the Auxilliary Fire Service's Fire Station.




Auxiliary Fire Service Alternative Fire Station, Mudford Road. Photographed 2013.




Auxiliary Fire Service Alternative Fire Station, Mudford Road. Photographed 2013.