Of Stone Farm, a detached part of Preston Plucknett
Garden Field is a large field immediately east of Stone Farm House.
This area is actually a detached part of the parish of Preston Plucknett, known as Preston in Stone, and the Preston Plucknett Tithe Map of 1849 shows Garden Field as Parcel 177. It was bounded on the north by Home Close (Parcel 175), Hartwells Orchard (Parcel 169) and Hanging Orchard (Parcel 168), to the south by Hetts Mead (Parcel 178) and to the west by Stone Farm House (Parcel 176) and Daniells Mead (Parcel 179).
The Preston Plucknett Tithe Apportionment of 1848 notes that Garden Field was in the ownership of Henry Goodford Esq. of Chilton Cantello and occupied by Mrs Phillis Coles, as indeed was the whole of Stone Farm at this time. The Tithe Apportionment calculated the area of Garden Field to be 9a 0r 10p.
Other known owners / occupiers had been James Harris (1800), Mr Pester (1810), Mr Spear (1818), Stephen Coles (c1821-1827). Phillis Coles, in her later years assisted by her sons, ran Stone Farm after the death of her husband Stephen until her own death in 1877. Her son Edmund ran the farm after her death until his death in 1885. By 1886 a Mr Russell was farming Stone Farm but his widow sold up and retired in February 1900. In 1901 the tenant farmer was John Sawtell.
As seen in the aerial photograph of 1946, shown below, by this time Garden Field had been merged with Hetts Mead to form a larger field and was used as pasture, as it remains today.
map and aerial photographs
The Stone area reproduced from the 1849 Tithe Map. Garden Field is east of Stone farm House.
The 1946 aerial photograph showing the former Garden Field and Hetts Mead at centre, by this time merged - the former boundary between the two fields is just visible as a ghost line running east-west.
The modern aerial view showing the former Garden Field and Hetts Mead at centre. Again the former boundary between the two fields is just visible as a light ghost line running east-west.