yeovil at War
Died from wounds sustained during the Final Advance in Flanders
Harold Glass was born in Yeovil in 1899, the son of railway driver William James Glass (1865-1946) and Louisa née Bartlett (1867-1940). William and Louisa had eight known children all born in Yeovil; Bertie (b1886), Alfred (b1890), Ellen (b1892), William (b1893), Arthur (b1895), Ethel (b1896), Gertrude (b1897) and Harold. These were followed by a further five known children, all born in Twickenham; Sidney (b1901), Lenard (b1903), Reginald (b1904), Claude (b1906) and Percival (b1907). In all William and Louisa had a total of eighteen children (five died in childhood).
The family were not long in Yeovil after the birth of Harold, moving to Twickenham, Middlesex, before Harold was two years old.
Sadly nothing is known of Harold's early life but he enlisted at Teddington, probably when he turned eighteen. He initially joined the East Surry Regiment, his Service Number being 35352, but was soon transferred to the 10th (Service) Battalion (Kent County), Queen's Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment, his new Service Number being G/20744. Harold's new battalion, formed in May 1915, had been in France since May 1916 as part of 123rd Brigade in 41st Division. In November 1917 the Battalion moved to Italy with the Division but returned to France in March 1918 when, I'm guessing, Harold joined them.
Harold and his Battalion played a part in a number of key actions during 1918 including the Battle of St Quentin, the Battle of Bapaume, the Battle of Arras, the Battles of the Lys, the Advance in Flanders, the Battle of Ypres, the Battle of Courtrai and the action of Ooteghem. In late October 1918, during the Allied Final Advance in Flanders, Harold was wounded in action. He died from his wounds on 27 October 1918. He was just 19 years old.
in a front
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission certificate in memory of Harold Glass.
Harold's grave in Kezelberg Military Cemetery.
Kezelberg Military Cemetery, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
The village of Moorsele was captured by the 15th Royal Irish Rifles on 14 October 1918, after remaining in German hands during almost the whole of the war. Kezelberg Military Cemetery was made in October and November 1918. The cemetery contains 147 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 14 German war graves. The cemetery was designed by W H Cowlishaw