The Old House, Preston Road
Glencote, now known as the Old House, in Preston Road is a rare survivor of what was once typical of the domestic houses of Yeovil. It is thought to have sixteenth century origins albeit with major alterations during the seventeenth century.
At the time of the 1846 Tithe Map, Glencote was owned by John Noake Highmore and occupied by William Longman. Highmore had inherited the house from his father, as well as vast tracts of land running along the western side of Larkhill Road that today is the site of all of Monks Dale, Abbey Road and Abbots Way.
The following description is from the Somerset Historic Environment Record -
Cottage, possibly of C16 with major C17 alterations. Random local stone, with end pilasters under gable copings: Early roof frame under thatch, two end chimney stacks. Two storeys. Random front elevation with off-centre 6-panelled door in arched recess of uncertain date. Simple modern 2- and 3-light casements, set under reconstructed stone lintols at ground floor level. 2-storey extension to west with random stone wall, Welsh slated roof, stone ridge and ornamental finial to west gable coping: arched opening with garage doors at ground level. Simple timber casement windows - that to ground floor has arched stone head. Thought to be a Somerset-plan cottage of three rooms in line, with cross passage, reduced in length in C17; later a C19 coach house was incorporated with the house.
Glencote photographed in the 1960s, with the junction of Larkhill Road just beyond the tree..
Glencote, Preston Road, now known as the Old House. Photographed in 2014.
.... and seen from a slightly different angle. The former coach house at left was a nineteenth century addition.