hollands house

hollands house

Regency-style home of the Battens

 

Hollands House was a Regency-style house originally built for Edmund Batten, local lawyer and banker, who was certainly living there by 1830 and is recorded as the owner in poll books of 1832 and 1834 although the 1829 Land Tax Returns noted Peter Daniell as owning Hollands House. Reverend Samuel Fawcett, a radical and minister at the Unitarian Chapel in Vicarage Street who chaired a meeting in 1831 at the Mermaid Hotel in support of the abolition of slavery and for parliamentary reform lived at Hollands with his wife, a sister of Edmund Batten, and was shown as living at Hollands in the 1832 and 1834 poll books where he was listed by virtue of owning freehold land called Cogan's Orchard.

By 1846 James Hooper Whitby, the son of Elias Whitby Snr, was listed as owner in the poll book for that year although John Batten Snr was in residence.

In the 1861 census it was recorded that Hollands House was the home of Herbert B Batten, a 40-year-old magistrate and banker, who lived there with his wife Elizabeth, son Herbert P Batten and four servants.

The Burgess Rolls of 1867 to 1876 showed that James Hooper Whitby still owned Hollands House. From 1778 until 1887, James' son James Ebenezer Whitby lived in Hollands House.

In 1901 Miss Evelyn Phelips Batten was listed as in residence, remaining until 1912. After the First World War Colonel Samuel Charles Long occupied the house which was later purchased by Stanley Walter Johnson.

The house was largely rebuilt in the early 20th century. The basement of this building was originally used as a chapel but during the Second World War was adapted as an air raid shelter with the ability to shelter up to 80 persons and known as Public Basement Shelter P37.

Hollands House became offices of Yeovil College and when I worked as a lecturer at the college during the 2000’s the basement was used as a coffee room.

Hollands House was demolished in August 2019.

 

gallery

 

The east elevation photographed in the early 1980s.

 

The north and west elevations photographed in the early 1980s.

 

The south elevation photographed in the early 1980s.

 

Hollands House, east elevation, photographed in 2013. The house was largely rebuilt in the early 20th century.

 

Hollands House, north elevation, photographed in 2013.

 

Hollands House, south elevation, photographed in 2013.

 

the Demolition of Hollands House, August 2019

 

Demolition begins. Next three, photographed 6 August 2019.

 

 

 

 

 Next two, photographed 7 August 2019.

 

 

 Next two, photographed 10 August 2019.

 

 

... and finally, there it was- gone! Photographed 17 August 2019.