Knapp House

Knapp House

Preston Plucknett


Knapp House, a Grade II Listed Building, nestles in a cul de sac in the former old village of Preston Plucknett opposite Preston Great Farm (Abbey Farm). The house is seventeenth century and certainly earlier than 1675. The front and sides are of local stone cut and squared, the rear has a modern brick wall replacing cob. The roof is thatched with brick chimney stacks.

In plan it is a substantial Somerset cross passage house of two storeys although the original kitchen seems to have been single storey.

The main entrance elevation is dominated by a nineteenth century two-storey angled bay window with sashes. The front door to the left of this bay window has six reeded panels on a heavy frame set on plain reveals and lacks a porch. To the left of the entrance is a stone mullioned kitchen window with hollow chamfers, probably early eighteenth century. The other ground floor windows, to the right of the bay are late eighteenth century 12-pane sashes, separated by a stone string course from the first floor windows which are in un-moulded mullioned window surrounds with small leaded panes. There is another matching window to left of the bay.



Knapp House. Photographed in 1942.


.... and photographed in 2014 - part of sale particulars.