A detached part of Preston Plucknett
Little Stone is a field southwest of Stone Farm on the west side of Stone Lane.
This area is actually a detached part of the parish of Preston Plucknett, known as Preston in Stone, and the Preston Plucknett Tithe Map of 1849 shows Little Stone as Parcel 151. It was bounded on the south by Long Croft (Parcel 149), on the west by Barn Close (Parcel 1107, in the Parish of Yeovil) and on the east by Stone Lane.
The Preston Plucknett Tithe Apportionment of 1848 recorded Little Stone as 5a 3r 25p and noted that the owner was William Jones Prowse Esq. and the tenant was James Martin (see also 149 Long Croft and 152 Great Stone). Captain William Jones Prowse RN, was the last of the family to live in Kingston Manor House.
Today Little Stone remains as pasture.
The Stone area reproduced from the 1849 Tithe Map. Little Stone is towards bottom left.
The 1946 aerial photograph showing Little Stone at centre. At top right is Stone Farm and at bottom left is Longcroft Farm.
The 1849 Tithe Map superimposed over the current Google Earth image. Although the field boundaries do not align precisely, remember that the 1849 survey was undertaken by hand using primitive surveying equipment. Little Stone is towards bottom left.