Now Johnson Park
Lockyer's Ground (Parcel 1356) was a large field, originally in the north of the great Medieval West Field of Kingston Manor. It was bounded on the north by Thorne Lane, on the east by Ilchester Road, to the south by a field access track, Higher Larkhill Lane, that would later become Boundary Close and to the west by Old's Close (1355).
The 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted that Lockyer's Ground was 9a 1r 9p and used as pasture for grazing livestock. The Apportionment noted that the owner of Locker's Ground was John Winter and the tenant was Joseph Brooks.
Lockyer's Ground and Old's Close were later combined and today the northern part is occupied by houses and gardens of Court Gardens while the remainder forms Johnson Park, named after William Walter Johnson who was Mayor of Yeovil from 1902 to 1904.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.
A conjectural map of the great West Field of Kingston Manor showing ancient sub-fields, most likely common fields, within the overall bounds of West Field.
The Larkhill area reproduced from the 1842 Tithe Map. Lockyer's Ground is top centre.
The 1946 aerial photograph showing Lockyer's Ground as the large field at top right in the junction of Thorne Lane (running across the top) and Ilchester Road (running diagonally across the top right). At bottom right is partially-constructed Eliotts Drive. By this time Lockyer's Ground had been combined with Old's Close.
The same area today 'borrowed' from Google maps.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed (slightly out at the bottom) over a modern map.