28 Market Street
28 Market Street
A small town house
28 Market Street was built in the middle of the nineteenth century as a small town house, most likely after the demolition of the old Woborn Almshouse that stood behind the Pall Tavern. It is certainly not shown on the 1858 map of Yeovil but is shown on the 1886 Ordnance Survey.
The following description is taken from the Somerset Historic Environment Record -
House: Early C19. Brick colour-washed, with Welsh slated roof [not any more] and brick end chimney stacks [not any more]. 2-storey double fronted, with central semi-circular arched doorway with modern 12-pane glazed door and plain fanlight over set in plain surround: a 12-pane sash window to either side, with two 9-pane sashes at first floor level in plain openings with flat gauged brick arches over. Coloured brickwork screen wall with sweep to north side [not any more]. This building is built onto the stable block of No 15 Silver Street, and is an important element in the street scene at the junction of Silver Street and Market Street.
This map is based on the 1886 Ordnance Survey and shows the junction of North Lane, Court Ash, Market Street and Silver Street with the tiny 28 Market Street at centre, facing the wide junction.
A 1960's photograph, taken from the junction of Market Street, Silver Street and Court Ash, looking up Market Street. No 28 Market Street is below the Pall Hotel sign and behind the car.
28 Market Street photographed in the early-1980s when it had the nice little curved-top wing wall to the side.... and chimneys.... and a Welsh slate roof.
Courtesy of Chris Rendell
28 Market Street photographed in 1989. Gosh - the Toby Grill next door - that brings back memories of many, many steak suppers in there.
.... and photographed in 2013 having lost its wing wall as well as its chimney stacks.