Once part of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor
Old Orchard was a small field south off Meadway (today's Lyde Road) opposite Little Lyde Farm and had once been part of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor. It would also have been part of the Medieval sub-field called Reckless Lake.
While the 1842 Tithe Map shows Old Orchard (Parcel 876), the 1846 Tithe Apportionment does not mention it at all, so details of ownership are unknown.
Old Orchard (Parcel 876) was bounded on the north by Meadway, on the west by Holloways Close (Parcel 875) and on the east by an un-named field (Parcel 877). By 1927, as shown on the Ordnance Survey map below, Old Orchard was used as allotments but the 1946 aerial photograph shows its use had returned to pasture at this time.
Today the site of former Old Orchard is approximately off the south of Vale Road, just beyond the junction with Lyde Road and just beyond Bookers Cash & Carry.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
maps & Aerial photographs
This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.
A map of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor showing conjectured locations of several fields based on descriptions in the 1589 Terrier.
This map is based on the 1842 Tithe Map with field names chiefly added from the 1846 Tithe Apportionment.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed (roughly) over a modern street map. Bearing in mind the relatively primitive surveying equipment of the 1840s they weren't all that far out.
The 1927 Ordnance Survey showing the whole of the Pen Mill - Lyde Lane area. Old Orchard is seen at centre top with the word 'Lyde' of Lyde Lane in it.
A 1946 aerial photograph showing Little Lyde Farm in the top left corner with Old Orchard the lighter field at top right. Note the train at bottom.