A former part of the great West Field of Kingston Manor
Originally part of the great Medieval West Field of Kingston Manor, an ancient deed from the time of Richard II (reigned 1483-1485) refers to a parcel of land called Percrofte and Perecroft, meaning Pear Tree Croft (as with a similarly named field in Yeovil Marsh). Clearly, through time, this has become today's Parcroft.
Parcroft Orchard (Parcel 1438) was a rectangular field on the southern side of the field access track known as Lower Larkhill Lane (today the eastern end of Stiby Road).
The 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted Parcroft Orchard measured 4a 3r 10p and was, indeed, used as an orchard. The Apportionment noted that the owner was linen draper John Glyde and the tenant was William Harrison.
Parcroft Orchard was bounded on the north by Lower Larkhill Lane, on the west by Higher Marle Close (Parcel 1440), to the south by Lower Parcroft (Parcel 1439 - also owned by Glyde and tenanted by Harrison) and to the east by Harding's Mead (Parcel 1437).
Today the former Parcroft Orchard is occupied by the houses and gardens of Westfield Road, Stiby Road and the northern section of Westfield Crescent.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
maps & Aerial Photographs
This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.
The Larkhill area reproduced from the 1842 Tithe Map. Parcroft Orchard is right of top centre.
The 1946 aerial photograph - Westfield Road by its junction with Stiby Road and the northern section of Westfield Crescent, was built on the former Parcroft Orchard, right of centre, towards the top of this photograph.
The same area today 'borrowed' from Google maps.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed (only very slightly out at the bottom) over a modern map.