perry's yard

perry's yard

Off South Street

 

Perry’s Yard was a tiny ‘court’ off South Street just along from the Baptist Church but completely enclosed by other buildings. The site is now occupied by Pegasus Court, next to the Newnam Memorial Hall.

Perry's Yard was named after John Perry who ran a temperance hotel at 78 South Street and also has a smithy in Tabernacle Lane. Perry's Yard lay immediately behind the hotel.

Perry’s Yard only appears in the 1891 census when just two people lived there; 59-year old shoemaker Charles Seymour and his 60-year old sister Maria, a straw milliner. Both were unmarried.