Once part of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor
The southern part of today's Lyde Road was originally known as Meadway, Mead Way or Medway and is noted as such in the Terrier of 1589 ".... from Meadway Gate, the lower part of the way, unto Reckless Gate...." and ".... from Reckless Lake in the outpart of the Meadway unto the River before Compton Mill....". In 1754 it was referred to in a document as "Master George Prowse's Mead-Way" - George Prowse being the Lord of Kingston Manor at that time.
On the corner of Meadway (today's Lyde Road) and London Road (today's Sherborne Road) was a large field that had once been part of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor. This field was called Meadway, or Medway and in today's terms stretched along Lyde Road from the junction with Sherborne Road as far as the Lidl store and stretched along Sherborne Road from the junction with Lyde Road to beyond the railway line.
By the time of the 1743 Terrier, Meadway (the field) had been broken up into several smaller fields, or parcels. The smallest of these, was an un-named plot that lay to the northeast of the old Pen Mill Inn (not to be confused with the Pen Mill Hotel).
The 1846 Tithe Apportionment recorded this un-named plot simply as 'Plot' (Parcel 864) and recorded that it was owned by William Jones Prowse (Lord of Kingston Manor at that time) and the tenant was Thomas Frost. The Apportionment noted that it was used as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 1a 3r 0p. 'Plot' was part of Pen Mill Farm.
'Plot' was bounded on the west by Great Medway (Parcel 865), on the south by Pen Mill Inn & Garden (Parcel 863), on the east by Markes Mead or Distlemoor (Parcel 862) and on the north by Medway (Parcel 868).
A Counterpart of Lease for seven years dated 25 March 1859 between Captain William Prowse of Enham House, Southampton, Retired Captain RN, and John Stone of Pen Mill Inn for both the inn and the adjoining farm but this did not include 'Plot' which had already been sold to the Great Western Railway Company.
Today 'Plot' is covered by the western end of Pittard's factory.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.
A map of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor showing conjectured locations of several fields based on descriptions in the 1589 Terrier.
This map is based on the 1842 Tithe Map with field names chiefly added from the 1846 Tithe Apportionment.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed (roughly) over a modern street map. Bearing in mind the relatively primitive surveying equipment of the 1840s they weren't all that far out.