A former part of the great West Field of Kingston Manor
Originally part of the great Medieval West Field of Kingston Manor, Preston Lane (Parcel 1455) was a rectangular field that got its name simply because it lay to the immediate north of the road known as Preston Lane (today's Preston Road), and to the west of the Union Workhouse.
The 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted Preston Lane as 4a 1r 0p and used as pasture for grazing livestock. The Apportionment noted that the owner was 'Henry Coward (now John Glyde)' and the tenant was Rev. John Langdon.
Preston Lane was bounded on the north by Drang Ground (Parcel 1442), to the west by Lockyer's Mead (Parcel 1454), to the south by Preston Lane (the road) and to the east by a field access track to Drang Ground, the other side of which was the Union Workhouse.
Today the former Preston Lane is occupied by houses and gardens of Summerlands.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
maps & Aerial Photographs
This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.
The Larkhill area reproduced from the 1842 Tithe Map. Preston Lane is bottom left of centre.
The 1946 aerial photograph - Preston Lane is bottom left of centre and by this time had been filled by the houses and gardens of Summerlands.
The same area today 'borrowed' from Google maps./p>
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed (only very slightly out at the bottom) over a modern map.