A field within the great manorial East Field
Sleight Plot (Parcel 920) was a small field originally within the great East Field of the Manor of Kingston. The word sleight, also spelt slaight or slite, derives from the Old English slœget meaning a sheep pasture.
At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment Sleight Plot was owned by John Tanner Whiteley Pitcher and let to John Green. It measured just 0a 3r 30p and was an orchard.
By the time of the 1946 aerial photograph seen below, Sleight Plot remained an open field but had been merged with Peckford's Close. Today it contains the junction of Lyde Road with Meadow Road to the west and Pembroke Close to the east.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.
A map of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor showing conjectured locations of several fields based on descriptions in the 1589 Terrier.
Drawn from the 1846 Tithe Map with field names added from the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, with Sleight Plot (Parcel 920) at centre right.
The 1946 aerial survey photograph (somewhat mis-aligned at bottom left) with parcel numbers of 1846 plotted on.
The 1843 Tithe Map overlaid onto a modern map of the area.
This photograph of 2016 just about covers the whole of the former Sleight Plot. Looking north along Lyde Road, at left is the junction of Meadow Road and at right the entrance to Pembroke Close.