Named to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee
Road does not
appear in the
1891 census and
most likely that it was laid out and built up around 1897 to be named in honour of Queen Victoria (reigned 1837-1901) at the time of her Diamond Jubilee.
of Victoria Road
was one of the
publican of the
death in 1899
was continued by
his son William
Earle Tucker who
By the time of the 1901 Ordnance Survey Victoria Road had been almost completed and built up along both sides of the road. The end of the road that would join with St Michael’s Road (at this time only planned) was incomplete. In 1901 Victoria Road was outside the Municipal Borough Boundary but came inside when the boundary was extended on 11 June 1904.
The 1901 Ordnance Survey showing Victoria Road, almost completely built up, at bottom right.
A 1904 postcard of Victoria Road, seen from Camborne Grove with Lyde Road running across the photograph. The corner shop, first opened in 1899 as the second branch outlet of the Yeovil & District Co-operative Soc Ltd, is now a private dwelling as seen below.
The same scene photographed in 2013.