Now in East Coker
Young Orchard (Parcel 729) was a triangular plot between East Coker Road (the old parish boundary between Yeovil and East Coker) and a field access track just below the junction with Little Tarrat Lane. Today this parcel lies in East Coker parish.
At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment it was owned by James Ellis and his tenant was William Phelps. Ellis also owned a brewery in Hendford, also let to Phelps, so it is tempting to think that Phelps created cider from the produce of Young Orchard. The Tithe Apportionment gave the area of Young Orchard as 2a 3r 0p.
Young Orchard was bounded on the west by East Coker Road, to the east by a field access track and to the south by Long Close (Parcel 730) and Tarratt (Parcel 731). Today it lies in the parish of East Coker.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
MAPs & Aerial Photographs
Map based on the 1842 Tithe Map with field names added from the 1846 Tithe Award. Young Orchard is at centre top.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed over a modern aerial photograph of the area. Although the field boundaries do not align precisely, remember that the 1846 survey was undertaken by hand using primitive surveying equipment.
The 1946 aerial photograph with Dorchester Road at right and East Coker Road running from top, right of centre, to bottom left. Young Orchard is at centre.
The modern satellite image showing Young Orchard at centre.
Young Orchard photographed from the field access track in 2015.