bryndene

bryndene

43 - 47 (formerly 21) Princes Street

 

Bryndene, Princes Street, is a fine Grade II town house dating to about 1730. It is of 3 stories with 3 bays and has a ham stone ashlar facade under a shallow pitched Welsh slated roof behind a parapet. The fine doorway has stone fluted Tuscan pilasters, triglyphs and paterae [architect-speak for vertically channelled tablets of the Doric frieze and circular, dish-like ornaments] to the entablature and a broken segmental pediment. The ground floor has modern shop fronts to either side of the entrance but the 1st floor windows are of 12 pane sashes sets in stone architraves, with a band course dividing similar 9-paned windows above.

The building was the home of the Fooks family, glove manufacturers of Yeovil, certainly from about 1806. The 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted that Bryndene was owned and occupied by Henry Marsh Watts.

Since at least 1935 the building has been a dental surgery.


gallery


A photograph of the northern end of Princes Street dating to around 1900. Bryndene is at centre left before being converted to shops. At right, at this time the Assembly Rooms were known as the 'Palace of Varieties' as indicated by the vertical sign attached to it. 

 

Drayton's occupied part of Bryndene before moving across the road. Photographed in 1962.

 

Bryndene, Princes Street - now, sadly, with an appallingly unsympathetic ground floor elevation. Photographed in 2013.

 

Bryndene's fine, but sadly neglected, Doric-style entrance. Photographed in 2013.