burial grounds (19th century)
burial grounds - independents
Dealing with burials in 19th century Yeovil
In 1852 in his Report to the General Board of Health concerning, among other items, Yeovil's burial grounds, Thomas Rammell wrote the following concerning burials in the Independents chapel in South Street.
"The Independents Burial-Ground is attached to the chapel, which is situated in Princes Street, nearly in the centre of the town, and surrounded by houses on all sides. It comprises 28 perches, including the site of the chapel. This chapel was built in 1796 but the ground was not used for interments till some years afterwards; about five or six interments take place in it annually, and a considerable portion of it is as yet unoccupied; the soil is dry."
The Independents (United Reformed) chapel in Princes Street with its gardens - the former burial ground. Photographed in 2013.