A former part of the great West Field of Kingston Manor
Originally Perrythorne was a large field running along the eastern side of Larkhill Lane (today's Larkhill Road). The name derived from pear orchard (perry) and thorn bushes (thorne). By the end of the eighteenth century the field had been subdivided into several smaller parcels (see Perrythorne (Parcels 1447 and 1448), Higher Perrythorne (Parcel 1445) and Lower Perrythorne (Parcels 1449 & 1450).
Here 'crib' is used in the sense of a manger or rack for fodder under a shelter, hence 'crib' and 'house'. Perrythorne had originally been a much larger single field but by the 1840s had been subdivided several times.
Cribhouse Perrythorne, or Cribhouse in Perrythorne, (Parcel 1446) was a field of Larkhill Farm and was a large field on the eastern side of Larkhill Lane and included Larkhill Farm in its northeast corner (see 1946 aerial photograph below) to the immediate south of what would become today's Stiby Road.
The 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted Cribhouse Perrythorne as 8a 0r 22p and used as pasture for grazing livestock. The Apportionment noted that the owner was William Jones Prowse and the tenant was James Pope.
Cribhouse Perrythorne was bounded on the north by Higher Perrythorne (Parcel 1417) and Great Larkhill (Parcel 1418), to the west by Larkhill Lane (today's Larkhill Road), to the south by Perrythorne (Parcels 1447 and 1448) and Lower Perrythorne (Parcel 1449) and to the east by In Higher Perrythorne (Parcel 1445).
Today the site of the former Cribhouse Perrythorne is occupied by the houses and gardens of Larkhill Road and the northern end of Freedom Avenue.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
maps & Aerial Photographs
This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.
The Larkhill area reproduced from the 1842 Tithe Map. Cribhouse Perrythorne is at top left.
By the time of the 1931 sale of Larkhill Farm the size of the farm had been much reduced to just over 22 acres, including Cribhouse Perrythorne.
The 1946 aerial photograph - Cribhouse Perrythorne at top left with Larkhill Farm forming its top right corner.
The same area today 'borrowed' from Google maps.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed (only very slightly out at the bottom) over a modern map.
An aerial photograph of 1941 showing Larkhill Lane running from its junction with Preston Road at top right, down past Larkhill Farm at centre left. At centre, the circular object is Yeovil's Barrage Balloon Site No 19, "Larkhill Lane" - to its immediate left, with Larkhill Farm carved out of its corner, is Cribhouse Perrythorne.
This 1946 aerial photograph clearly shows the development of the Larkhill Road 'prefabs' left of centre. Much of this section of Larkhill Road would be built in 1946 by Italian prisoners of war. Running across the bottom of the photograph is Preston Road and from the junction with Larkhill Road and running to the bottom right corner is Preston Grove. Larkhill Farm is at centre top, carved out of the top right corner of Cribhouse Perrythorne.