Daniell's higher field

Daniell's higher Field

Now the site of Sandhurst Road


Daniell's Higher Field, named for the Daniell family of Yeovil, was a field bounded by West Coker Road to the north, Turners Barn Lane to the south, Daniell's Lower Field (Parcel 725) to the east and Mount Pleasant (1) (Parcel 723) to the west.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment described Daniell's Higher Field (Parcel 724) as arable and measuring 3a 2r 0p. It noted that draper and grocer John Glyde was the owner and it was occupied by Lionel Harrison, a sailcloth weaver of East Coker.

As seen in the aerial photograph of 1946 below, by this time Sandhurst Road had been built down its middle with houses built either side, completely filling the former field - as it is today.


MAPs & Aerial Photographs

Map based on the 1842 Tithe Map with field names added from the 1846 Tithe Award. Daniell's Higher Field is at centre.


The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed over a modern map of the area. Although the field boundaries do not align precisely, remember that the 1849 survey was undertaken by hand using primitive surveying equipment.


The 1946 aerial photograph with West Coker Road running from centre left to top right and Turners Barn Lane running across the bottom right of the photograph and no more than a track (today's Arnewood Gardens) to the left. The former Daniell's Higher Field is at centre with Sandhurst Road bisecting the former field, now filled with houses and gardens. Note, just southwest of the junction of Sandhurst Road and Turners Barn Lane, the circular emergency water tank from the Second World War.


The modern satellite image shows the former Daniell's Higher Field with West Coker Road running across top left and Turners Barn Lane running across the bottom. The former Daniell's Higher Field is now fully built on with the houses and gardens both sides of Sandhurst Road. The rest of the image has been lightened to make Daniell's Higher Field stand out.