the history of yeovil's pubs
globe & crown
73 South Street
The large building that is the Globe and Crown today has not always been as such. As far as I am aware no early photographs exist of the main building, other than the first photograph below taken around 1880, which has most likely been rebuilt since its earliest mention in the records in 1839.
The map at left is based on the 1886 Ordnance Survey and shows the Globe and Crown, marked 'C', as at that time.
Certainly that part of the building that is today’s hotel (shaded a lighter pink on the map) was originally built as the Manager’s house of the Yeovil Sanitary Laundry Co. Ltd. in 1898 (as seen in the second photograph in the gallery below) whose steam laundry and drying field was located to the rear of the Globe & Crown. It later traded as Yeoman Cleaners.
In fact the Globe and Crown most likely began life as a beerhouse following the enactment of the Beerhouse Act 1830. Judging by the style of the architecture of today's building, combined with an apparent hiatus in the written records, I would surmise that the Globe and Crown was rebuilt and became licensed as a public house proper during the late 1860's or early 1870's.
In the Yeovil Guide of 1962 the Manor Hotel and the Mermaid Hotel were the most expensive hotels in Yeovil with Bed and Breakfast from 25/- per night (about £48 at 2017's value). For comparison the Three Choughs Hotel was 22/6 per night, the Pen Mill Hotel was 16/-, the Elephant & Castle Hotel was 15/6 and the Globe & Crown was cheapest at 14/6 (about £13.50 at 2017's value). By 1970 the prices were still the most expensive at the Manor Hotel with Bed & Breakfast from 45/- to 55/- per night (£50 to £63 at 2017's value), lunch at 14/6 (about £19) and dinner at 16/6 (about £22). Again for comparison, Bed & Breakfast at the Three Choughs Hotel was 42/- per night with breakfast only at 9/6 and tea from 3/6, the Preston Hotel was from 32/6 per night with lunch at 12/6 and dinner from 14/6, the Butchers Arms was 25/- for a single and 45/- for a double room per night and the Elephant & Castle Hotel was cheapest at 21/6 (about £29) per night.
The first listed landlord, George Wines, was selling beer here during three decades. He is first mentioned in Robson's Directory of 1839 and the 1841 census lists him as a South Street beerseller with his wife, Ann. George was born about 1799 in South Petherton and Ann some three years earlier in Holwell, Dorset. By 1871 George was age 71, retired and living in Park Street. He died in June 1876.
John Tucker was born about 1818 at Martock but spent most of his life in the Wyke Regis / Weymouth area. In the 1851 census he was listed as a coachman to the Reverend Phinds and was living in Wyke Regis with his first wife, Hannah. By the following census John and Hannah were still in Wyke but John was listed as a gentleman's servant. Hannah died in September 1867 and John was married at Weymouth in January 1869 to Christian [aka Christine] Truscott of St Stephens, Cornwall.
In the 1871 census John and Christine were still living in Wyke Regis and John's occupation was listed as coachman. By 1875 John and Christian had moved to Yeovil and in the 1881 census John, by now aged 64, is listed as the innkeeper of the Globe and Crown. John Tucker died in March 1889.
Tom Brown took on the license of the Globe and Crown after the death of John Tucker. He was born around 1852 in Trent, just east of Yeovil, the son of labourer Job Brown and his wife, Elizabeth. In the 1871 census Tom was described as a smith. By 1881 Tom had married and he and his wife, Emma, lived in Summerhouse Terrace, Yeovil, with their two young children. Tom's occupation was given as leather dresser. In 1889 Tom was listed in Kelly's Directory as the licensee of the Globe and Crown and in the 1891 census he is listed as a licensed victualler, with Emma and their four children. Emma died in September 1894, aged 41, and by 1901 Tom had remarried. The 1901 census lists him and his new wife, Alice, with his son Ernest (from his first marriage) working as a barman and Tom and Alice's two young children. Tom is finally listed as licensee of the Globe and Crown in Whitby's Yeovil Almanack Advertiser of 1903 and by 1911 he and Alice had moved to 11 South Street with their children, where Tom's occupation was listed as 'jobbing master'.
John White was born around 1862 in West Coker, son of labourer Sidney White and his wife, Ellen. By the time he was 18 in 1881 John, still living at home, was a 'coachman domestic servant'. By 1891 John had married and he and his Yeovil-born wife, Priscilla, lived in Barwick with their three young children. John described his occupation as general servant. By 1901 John had left service and was listed in the 1901 census as the hotel proprietor of the Castle Hotel with Priscilla and three of their children the eldest of whom, Ada, worked as a barmaid. John was still at the Castle in 1907, but by 1911 he was licensee of the Globe and Crown in South Street.
Hain Weakley (possibly real name Sidney) was running the Globe and Crown from at least 1936 until the mid-1950’s.
During the 2000’s, in an attempt at being trendy, the Globe and Crown was temporarily renamed Globetrotters (what were they thinking?) and then the Globe. Fortunately these names were relatively short lived and it is the Globe and Crown once again.
Sketch Plan of the Globe & Crown
This is a sketch based on plans held at the Heritage Centre, Taunton. The original plans are dated 1947. The main building extended from the wall between the commercial store room and the covered way across to the fireplace wall of the bar. The depth of the main building was from the public pavement to and including the kitchen. All other buildings (commercial store room and all toilets) were single storey lean-to buildings. The first floor of the main building comprised six bedrooms and a bathroom. There was an extensive range of garages beyond the yard with part of the premises of the Yeovil Laundry built over the garages. 'J&B' are the 'jug & bottle' off sales.
This photograph was taken around the 1890's (note the horse omnibus parked outside the Greyhound Hotel) and shows what competition the Globe and Crown, at left, had in this short stretch of South Street - opposite is the Greyhound Hotel and next door to that was the Cow Inn. Just visible at the end of the street is the Three Choughs Hotel and the King's Arms 2. Between the Choughs and the Cow was the Market House Inn and three un-named beerhouses. Despite the huge number of pubs in this short run of South Street, the white building with the black porch left of centre was John Perry's Temperance Hotel.
The Yeovil Sanitary Laundry Co. Ltd. was established in 1877 in South Street, at the rear of the Globe and Crown with its steam laundry and extensive drying grounds behind the pub. It was enlarged in 1898 and at that time a new Manager's House fronting South Street was built which also contained an office and receiving room - seen in this photograph of around 1910. A comparison with the colour photo below will show that the Manager's House now forms part of the hotel section of the Globe and Crown with the space between the buildings now bridged by an arch with accommodation over.
Photographed in 1960 by Charrington & Co Ltd's surveyors as part of a 'stocktaking' exercise of photographing Brutton's pubs prior to the brewery takeover.
A 1960's photograph of bus queues waiting outside the Globe and Crown. Note that the Yeovil Sanitary Laundry building has now become Yeoman Cleaners. As seen in the last photograph below, it was to become part of the Globe and Crown premises.
This photograph, taken during the 1960's, shows the Globe and Crown at extreme left and at centre the demolition of the Fire Station, formerly the old Cheese Market in South Street.
Courtesy of the Western Gazette
In its guise as Globetrotters - photographed in 2008.
The same scene in 2012 - only the Globe and Crown remains - the Greyhound Hotel, Cow Inn, Market House Inn, King's Arms 2 and the Three Choughs Hotel have all gone.
Courtesy of Chris Rendell
The Globe & Crown photographed in 1989.
The Globe and Crown in 2012 with the former laundry building at right now integrated seamlessly into the pub/hotel premises. Compare this photograph with the one above showing Yeoman cleaners and it is surprising how good a job was made of the restoration - shame they can't do more restorations like this in Yeovil.
1839 – George
Wines – Beer
1841 – George Wines – Beer Seller (1841 census) pub not named
1842 – George Wines – Retailer of Beer (Pigot’s 1842-4 Directory)
1850 – George Wines – Beer Retailer (Hunt & Co's 1850 Directory)
1851 – George Wines – Publican (1851 census)
1852 – George Wines – Retailer of Beer (Slater's 1852/3 Directory)
1859 – Joseph Cole – applied for Spirit license (Petty Sessions)
1860 – John Lavers – Spirit license renewed (Petty Sessions)
1862 – John Laver – License granted after a caution (Borough Petty Sessions)
1875 – John Tucker (Kelly's 1875 Directory - Hotels & Inns)
1881 – John Tucker – Inn Keeper (1881 census) listed as Globe & Crown
1889 – Tom Brown (Kelly’s 1889 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown.
1891 – Thomas Brown – Licensed Victualler (1891 census) listed as Globe & Crown
1895 – Tom Brown (Kelly’s 1895 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown Hotel & Posting House
1897 – Tom Brown (Kelly’s 1897 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown
1901 – Tom Brown – Publican (1901 census) listed as Public House in South Street
1901 – T Brown - Proprietor (Whitby's 1901 Yeovil Almanack Advertiser)
1902 – Tom Brown (Kelly’s 1902 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown
1903 – T Brown – Proprietor (Whitby's Yeovil Almanack Advertiser 1903)
1911 – John White – Hotel Proprietor (1911 census) listed as Globe & Crown
1914 – Frederick Connock (Kelly’s 1914 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown PH
1919 – George Gould (Kelly’s 1919 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown
1923 – Margaret Sugg (Kelly’s 1923 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown
1936 – Hain Weakley (1936 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe & Crown
1938 – Hain Weakley (1938 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe & Crown
1939 – Sidney CH Weakley (Kelly’s 1939 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown PH
1947 – Hain Weakley (1947 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe & Crown
1949 – Hain Weakley (Kelly’s 1949 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown
1951 – Hain Weakley (1951 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe & Crown
1954 – Hain Weakley (1954 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe & Crown
1957 – DB Penhey (1957 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe & Crown
1960 – DP Penhey (1960 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe & Crown
1965 – Licensee not named (1965 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe & Crown
1968 – Licensee not named (Kelly’s 1968 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown
1969 – Licensee not named (Kelly’s 1969 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown
1970 – Licensee not named (Kelly’s 1970 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown Inn
1971 – Licensee not named (Kelly’s 1971 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown Inn
1972 – Licensee not named (Kelly’s 1972 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown Inn
1973 – Licensee not named (Kelly’s 1973 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown Inn
1974 – Licensee not named (1974 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe & Crown Inn
1987 – Licensee not named (Denton’s 1987 Directory) listed as Globe & Crown Inn