(East Side) - Now part of Beale's
No 1 Hendford, on the corner with High Street, was probably originally built as a small, three-storey town house of stucco on brickwork under a tiled roof. By the middle of the nineteenth century at the latest it had been converted to shops with a separate doorway to accommodation over. Around 1900 the building was either demolished and rebuilt, or at least re-fronted, at which time it was occupied by the Rainbow Dye Works as seen in a photograph below.
The building was acquired by Linsey Denner and incorporated into his store next door at 25 High Street. It was heightened, re-roofed and re-fronted (if not completely rebuilt) yet again during the twentieth century and now forms an integral part of Beales' store.
The following description is from the Somerset Historic Environment Record -
Shops; probably always so: C19 mid [actually about 1900]. In two parts, themselves [now] part of a larger department store. Brick (colour-washed) with plain clay tiled roofs, brick chimney stack to right-hand side. Left half of 3-storeys of 2-bays, seemingly specially designed as a sympathetic extension to 25 High Street. Modern shopfronts to ground floor, segmental arched 2-light casements to first floor [at the time of writing in the 1980s], with gauged brick arches and plain labels over to second floor 2-double sash windows in plain openings, with flat gauged brick arches. Brick pilasters to each side, with string course through above second floor; then panels in the pilasters, a thin cornice and a brick parapet hiding the roof. The right half plainer, also 3-storeys of 2-bays and at slightly lower levels: modern ground floor shop front and late C20 windows in plain openings with flat gauged brick arches to first floor: the second floor has two 4-pane sash windows in similar openings.
This photograph of Hendford dates to around 1870 and is one half of a stereoscopic pair. At far left is 25 High Street, the shop newly-acquired at this time by Linsey Denner. The imposing building at right was Stuckey's bank. The three storey building at centre (just beyond the two-storey shops) it the Three Choughs Hotel.
This view of Linsey Denner's premises at 25 High Street was taken between 1887 (when the Sugg lamp was erected in the street outside to celebrate the Jubilee of Queen Victoria) but before 1897 when the Capital and Counties Bank replaced the building on the corner of High Street seen at extreme left. 25 High Street had originally been built in 1836 for another draper's business, Edwards & Dean, who were listed as being in the Borough in Pigot's 1830 trade directory as well as the Somerset Gazette Directory of 1840. It was later occupied by Hurrell & Berryman who were listed in the Post Office Directory of 1866 as silk mercers and were the owners immediately prior to Linsey Denner. At right No 1 Hendford remains largely unaltered from the previous photograph.
A view of High Street taken from Hendford about 1905. The Mermaid Hotel is at left, Denner's shop is at centre with the Rainbow Dye Works next door at No 1 Hendford. By this time the original No 1 Hendford of the previous two photographs had been demolished and rebuilt as seen here.
..... and seen today as Beales, re-roofed and re-fronted (if not completely rebuilt) yet again during the twentieth century. Photographed in 2013.