Of Stone Farm, a detached part of Preston Plucknett
Daniells Mead is a small field immediately southwest of Stone Farm House.
This area is actually a detached part of the parish of Preston Plucknett, known as Preston in Stone, and the Preston Plucknett Tithe Map of 1849 shows Daniells Mead as Parcel 179. It was bounded on the north by Home Close (Parcel 175), to the west by Garden Field (Parcel 177) and Hetts Mead (Parcel 178) and to the south by Bishops Ground (Parcel 181) and to the west by Waste Plot (Parcel 180) and Stone Lane.
The Preston Plucknett Tithe Apportionment of 1848 notes that Daniells Mead was in the ownership of Henry Goodford Esq. of Chilton Cantello and occupied by Mrs Phillis Coles, as indeed was the whole of Stone Farm at this time. The Tithe Apportionment stated the area of Daniells Mead to be 3a 0r 6p.
Other known owners / occupiers had been James Harris (1800), Mr Pester (1810), Mr Spear (1818), Stephen Coles (c1821-1827). Phillis Coles, in her later years assisted by her sons, ran Stone Farm after the death of her husband Stephen until her own death in 1877. Her son Edmund ran the farm after her death until his death in 1885. By 1886 a Mr Russell was farming Stone Farm but his widow sold up and retired in February 1900. In 1901 the tenant farmer was John Sawtell.
As seen in the aerial photograph of 1946, shown below, by this time Daniells Mead had been merged with Hetts Mead to form a larger field and was used as pasture, as it remains today.
map and aerial photographs
The Stone area reproduced from the 1849 Tithe Map. Garden Field is east of Stone farm House.
The 1946 aerial photograph showing Daniells Mead at centre left. It appears that the remnants of Waste Plot were still evident.
The modern aerial view showing Daniells Mead at centre left. By this time Waste Plot had been absorbed into Daniells Mead and just a hedgerow with a couple of trees forming the boundary against Stone Lane.
Daniells Mead looking southeast from the field's northwest corner. Photographed in 2015.