hooper's higher field

hooper's higher Field

Now the site of Hillgrove Avenue

 

Hooper's Higher Field was a long field bounded by West Coker Road to the north, Turners Barn Lane to the south, Hoopers Lower Field (Parcel 727) to the east and Daniell's Lower Field (Parcel 725) to the east.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment described Hooper's Higher Field (Parcel 726) as arable and measuring 7a 0r 30p. It noted that draper and grocer John Glyde was the owner and it was occupied by Lionel Harrison, a sailcloth weaver of East Coker.

AAs seen in the aerial photograph of 1946 below, by this time Hillgrove Avenue had been built down its middle with houses starting to be built either side at the northern end.

Today the former Hooper's Higher Field is completely filled with the houses and gardens of Hillgrove Avenue.

 

MAPs & Aerial Photographs




MMap based on the 1842 Tithe Map with field names added from the 1846 Tithe Award. Hooper's Higher Field is just right of centre.

 

The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed over a modern map of the area. Although the field boundaries do not align precisely, remember that the 1849 survey was undertaken by hand using primitive surveying equipment./p>

 

The 1946 aerial photograph with West Coker Road running from centre left to centre top and Dorchester Road running from top centre down to bottom right of centre. The former Hooper's Higher Field is at left and by this time Hillgrove Avenue has been built down its middle with houses starting to be built either side at the northern end.

 

The modern satellite image shows the former Hooper's Higher Field with West Coker Road running across top left and Turners Barn Lane running across the bottom. The former Hooper's Higher Field is now fully built on with the houses and gardens both sides of Hillgrove Avenue. The rest of the image has been lightened to make Hooper's Higher Field stand out.

 

Gallery



Courtesy of the Western Gazette

The northern end of Hillgrove Avenue, photographed in 1951.

 


Courtesy of the Western Gazette

.... and the southern end of Hillgrove Avenue, also photographed in 1951.