The market house
the market House
A permanent covered structure for market traders
The Market House stood in the Borough and was built in 1740 by Lady Elizabeth Phelips of Montacute House. It stood near the southeast corner of the Borough, close to the entrance of Wine Street, then known as Grope Lane.
Essentially a tiled roof on pillars, it was open on all sides but offered some small protection from the elements for street traders. The building was 70 feet long by 20 feet wide (21.3m x 6m). The stocks were house within the structure.
"We hear that the Inhabitants of Yeovil, on account of the Repeal of the Cyder-Act, and the Prohibition of the Importation of French Gloves, (Gloving being the principal Trade of that Town) have devoted the greatest Part of the last Week to Bell ringing and other Diversions; three Sheep being roasted whole on the last three Days, and two Vessels of Cyder continually running at their Market-House." Bath Chronicle & Weekly Gazette, 1 May 1766
By the middle of the nineteenth century the Market House, as well as the adjacent Shambles, had fallen into disrepair and their demolition was the subject at the first meeting of the newly set up Special Commissioners in 1846. Both the Shambles and the Market House were demolished in 1849 with the Special Commissioners contributing £200 towards the costs.
Day's map of
1831 showing the
Borough, plus a
A = The Chantry in original position, B = Church Lane / Street, C = Tolle Hall, D = Bow,
E = London House, F = The Butchers' Shambles, G = Market House.
A painting made in 1810 of the Borough looking towards High Street which runs to the distance at left. The building at centre was the Market House, built in 1740, and behind it to the right was the butcher's Shambles, built in 1803. At extreme left is the old house known as The Bow and at extreme right is the Tolle Hall surmounted by its clock. Note, in the far right corner of the Shambles, the stocks - used for humiliating public punishment of minor offences.
This sketch, made by GE Madeley to illustrate his map of 1831, shows the Borough seen from High Street - roughly the view seen today from the north end of King George Street. The Shambles is to the left and the Market House is to the right. The buildings at far left still stand today, that to the left is Clement White's shop, today's 8 High Street, at this time occupied by draper Benjamin Ryall whose name appears above the door. Behind the hanging sign at right is the Medical Hall which at this time was occupied by George Wellington, druggist and chemist.