Today's Church Street
St John's church has given its name to Church Lane, Church Path, Church Stairs, Church Steps, Church Street, Church Terrace, Church Walk and Churchyard.
Church Lane, today's Church Street, was most likely a Medieval (if not earlier) lane running along the southern boundary of St John's churchyard, running parallel to High Street and linking today's Princes Street and Silver Street. It was known as Church Street at least as early as the 1841 census.
Unlike today, where its eastern half is little more than a footpath, the lane was originally more or less the same width through its length, narrowing only at its junction with Silver Street but you'd still be able to drive your horse and cart for its whole length. The churchyard was fenced off from the lane until relatively recent times to stop horses, dogs, etc. wandering into the churchyard and the church itself.
Buildings of note in Church Street are the beautifully-proportioned Church House (built about 1770 for the Batten family) with the attached old County Court building, No 4 Church Street (built in the late 1840s, now also offices) and St John's Schoolrooms (built in 1854 and rebuilt in 1897).
Day's map of
1831 showing the
Borough, plus a
A = The Chantry in original position, B = Church Lane / Street, C = Tolle Hall, D = Bow,
E = London House, F = The Butchers' Shambles, G = Market House.
Map based on the 1886 Ordnance Survey.
An evocative image of a road sweeper in Church Street, probably photographed in the 1950s, with the Central Cinema at right.
Photographed in 1942 from Church Street looking to Princes Street. Who remembers the Chelsea Tea Rooms?
.... and then there were shops. The junction of Church Street and South Street photographed in the 1960s.
St John's churchyard photographed in the mid-1960s. Church Street is at centre and runs off to bottom left while Church path runs from centre to right, past St John's schoolrooms and the Chantry.
St John's churchyard, south side, photographed in the 1970s. Church Lane, today's Church Street, is at top left.
The Borough as seen from the top of St John's tower and photographed in the mid-1960s. At bottom left is the top of Silver Street, along the bottom is the eastern end of Church Street.
Church House, photographed about 1960.
The old County Court building in Church Street, attached to Church House, seen from the east. Photographed in 2014.
The sign above the door, facing Church Street. Photographed in 2014.
The old County Court building in Church Street, attached to Church House, seen from the west. Photographed in 2014.
St John's Schoolrooms photographed in 2013. Church Street runs to the left and behind where I stood to take the photo, Church Path runs to the right.
No 4 Church Street. Photographed in 2014.