no 4, church street
no 4, church street
An early Victorian town house
Built in the Georgian style, No 4 Church Street was actually built during the late 1840s - it doesn't appear on Day's map of 1831, shown below, or Bidder's map of 1843 but is shown on the 1858 map of Yeovil.
At the time of the 1842 Tithe Map the house had yet to be built on the site and the 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted that it was the Mermaid Garden (Parcel 18a), and maps show that it stretched all the way from Church Street as far as the northern side of the Princes Street entrance to the Mermaid Hotel's rear yard. It was owned by William Wilkins and Frederick Watts was the tenant. The garden, referred to as pasture, measured 0a 0r 20p (for details on historic land measurement - ie acres, roods and perches - click here).
Of two storeys and five bays, it is built in cut and squared local stone, the same as St John's church (although probably not from the same quarry which was just north of the church), with Ham stone door and window surrounds, string course and cornice, under a Welsh slate roof.
The following description is from the Somerset Historic Environment Record -
Town House now offices, probably c1830 [sic]. Cut and squared local stone in random courses, Ham stone dressings. Welsh slated roof between coped gables, one truncated brick stack to left-hand end. 2-storey facade of 5-bays of A.B.A.B.A. pattern, the middle 3-bays projecting slightly. Entrance doorway in bay 2 has plain architrave, with flat stone hood and typical Yeovil pattern console brackets - 6-panelled door, with ornamental rectangular cast iron fanlight over. 12-pane sash windows to bays 2 and 4, 8 pane sashes to bays 1, 3 and 5 (bays 1 and 3 being blank on the ground floor), all set in architraves: Small plinth, and band course between floors, quoins unmarked. Low parapet incorporating cornice moulding to 3-centre bays. Interior not inspected. Stone front boundary wall to full height to left-hand of entrance, reduced on right-hand side: two rustic jointed stone gate piers with flattish square moulded caps.
Day's map of
1831 showing the
Borough, plus a
A = The Chantry in original position, B = Church Lane / Street, C = Tolle Hall, D = Bow,
E = London House, F = The Butchers' Shambles, G = Market House.
Map based on the 1886 Ordnance Survey. No 4 Church Street is shown in the centre of the block of buildings in the lower left corner, set back from the road with a small ornamental garden in front of it.
No 4 Church Street, built in the 1840s as a town house, now offices. Photographed in 2014.