Church House in Church Street, facing St John’s church, dates to about 1770 and is the finest remaining town house in Yeovil. It is built of stone with a frontage in Yeovil red bricks and Ham stone dressings, cornice and parapet. The central doorway has a pediment and semi-circular entrance steps. There is an adjoining orangery with stone arcading to the south and an extension used as the County Court adjoining Church Street.
It was probably built by the Batten family of solicitors and the house has played a prominent part in the town's legal affairs, being the home of the Battens since the eighteenth century, indeed the Town Courts were held in the north annex until the middle of the twentieth century - see photographs below.
In the 1841 census John Batten was listed at Church House as a 65-year old solicitor living with his daughter Emily, son Herbert a solicitor’s clerk and four servants.
The house lost a wing during a Second World War bombing raid – at 8:15pm on Saturday 12 October 1940 to be precise.
The following description of Church House is from the Somerset Historic Environment Record -
Town House, now offices. Circa 1770, Red Brick with Ham stone dressings Welsh slated roof between coped gables, each terminating in brick chimney stacks. 2-storeys, attic and basement, 5-bay main facade with high plinth with 4-plain basement windows in plain surrounds: rusticated quoins, no string course: strong dentilled cornice with brick parapet crowned by stone urns at corners. central entrance, up segmental sweep of 6 steps, with 6-panel door, the upper 2-panels glazed with margined lights - no fanlight, stone architrave with keystone: above a dentilled pediment on bold console brackets. All windows have 12-pane sashes - first floor square panes, ground floor slightly elongated - set in architraves with central keystones: centre window first floor has segmental head with Gibbsian surround. In centre of roof 2-light timber dormer window behind parapet with pedimented roof. On left-hand side the single storey orangery, not much later than main house, of brick with Welsh slate hipped roof behind parapet. Arcade of 4 semi-circular arched French windows, with recessed panels above each window, below stone cornice and parapet. Internally, the left-hand room on ground floor has good cornice, and possibly the original marble fireplace: the right-hand room has lost its cornice but has another early marble fireplace and a niche. The staircase seems to be mostly original work. To rear of building an arched doorway and door, possibly C17, and some stone windows with leading, one cruciform in pattern. On north side a 2-storey extension in local stone - of uncertain date, this and another building on site were damaged by enemy action c1940. Probably the finest remaining town house in Yeovil, this house has played a prominent part in the town's legal affairs, being the home of the Batten Family Solicitors since C18: the Town Courts were held in the north annexe.
The following description of the coach houses is from the Somerset Historic Environment Record
Two coach houses of uncertain date, probably late C18 appertaining to Church House. Both of local stone with ashlar quoins and Welsh slate roofs. Coach house to north-west of Church House [first photo of the coach houses below], extends between Church Street and the facade of No 4 which it partly masks. Now offices the street elevation has a modern shopfront: above, under the coped gable, is a semi-circular headed window with a bolection mould architrave; the west return (facing No 4) is plain, the east elevation has an arcade of 3-semi-circular arched recesses now part blocked with windows and doors. The other [second photo of the coach houses below], of about the same date and detailed to match the first, is west of the Church House, and attached to the side of No 4, it has a stone gable end with big semi-circular headed doorway, and brick side wall. These buildings included both for their relevance to Church House, and for their group value.
Day's map of
1831 showing the
Borough, plus a
A = The Chantry in original position, B = Church Lane / Street, C = Tolle Hall, D = Bow,
E = London House, F = The Butchers' Shambles, G = Market House.
Map based on the 1886 Ordnance Survey showing Church House at bottom, left of centre.
A 1928 aerial view of St John's church with Church House at left. Notice that this photograph shows the wing of the house, adjacent to Church Street, that was destroyed by a German bomb in October 1940.
Courtesy of Jack Sweet
Mrs Summerville's School of Dance, assembled in the grounds of Church House in the 1920s.
The house lost a wing during a Second World War bombing raid – at 8:15pm on Saturday 12 October 1940. This photograph of the damaged house was taken in 1942.
Church House, photographed about 1960.
Church House, photographed in 2013.
The old County Court building in Church Street, attached to Church House, seen from the east. Photographed in 2014.
The sign above the door, facing Church Street. Photographed in 2014.
The old County Court building in Church Street, attached to Church House, seen from the west. Photographed in 2014.
.... and photographed in the 1970s.
The east elevation of the northwest coach house. Photographed in 2014.
The north elevation of the southwest coach house. Photographed in 2014.