oxen furlong

oxen furlong

An ancient field of the great Manor of Kingston's Middle Field

 

Oxen Furlong (Parcel 1408) was bounded on the north by Combe Street Lane, on the west by Brimsmore Tree (Parcel 1410), on the south by Tintinhull Road and on the east by Higher Oxen Furlong (Parcel 1407) and Lower Oxen Furlong (Parcel 1405). It is most likely that in earlier times Oxen Furlong together with Higher and Lower Oxen Furlong was one large field called Oxenfurlong.

The 1589 Terrier in referring to the boundaries of the 'Middle Field at Kingstone' states "From Marshweeche to Brimsmore Tree and from thence to Picked Weech being oxen Furlong and wide Gore".

In 1790 six acres of Oxen Furlong, together with two acres of land in Roping Field, were conveyed by Edmund Batten of Yeovil, Gent., to John Ryall. In his will dated 1813, John Ryall bequeathed the Oxen Furlongs (comprising Oxen Furlong, Higher Oxen Furlong and Lower Oxen Furlong) to his grandson John Ryall Mayo, the future first mayor of Yeovil.

In 1824 Oxen Furlong formed part of a pre-nuptial marriage settlement in consideration of the intended marriage of John Ryall Mayo and Penelope Worsfold Randall of Brighton, Sussex.

However, Mayo sold it to George Bragge Prowse (1767-1839) and it is known that the field contained a stone quarry. The 1842 Tithe Map and the 1846 Tithe Apportionment refer to Parcel 1408 Oxenfurlong as pasture owned by Prowse's son, William Jones Prowse. The Apportionment noted that Oxenfurlong measured 8a 1r 25p and was used as pasture fro grazing livestock.

Today the former field known as Oxen Furlong is completely filled with housing of Combe Street Lane to the north, the western end of Combe Park at centre and Ilchester Road to the south.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.

 

map


This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.

 

The Hollands area reproduced from the 1842 Tithe Map. Oxen Furlong is at top left.

 

The 1946 aerial photograph showing Oxen Furlong left of centre.

 

The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed over a modern map.