higher oxen furlong
higher oxen furlong
An ancient field of the great Manor of Kingston's Middle Field
Higher Oxen Furlong (Parcel 1406) was bounded on the north by Combe Street Lane, on the west by Oxen Furlong (Parcel 1408), on the south by Lower Oxen Furlong (Parcel 1405) and on the east by Nobles Nap (Parcel 1401). It is most likely that in earlier times Oxen Furlong together with Higher and Lower Oxen Furlong was one large field called Oxenfurlong.
The 1589 Terrier in referring to the boundaries of the 'Middle Field at Kingstone' states "From Marshweeche to Brimsmore Tree and from thence to Picked Weech being oxen Furlong and wide Gore".
In 1790 six acres of Oxen Furlong, together with two acres of land in Roping Field, were conveyed by Edmund Batten of Yeovil, Gent., to John Ryall. In his will dated 1813, John Ryall bequeathed the Oxen Furlongs (comprising Oxen Furlong, Higher Oxen Furlong and Lower Oxen Furlong) to his grandson John Ryall Mayo, the future first mayor of Yeovil. In his will dated 1813, John Ryall bequeathed Oxen Furlongs (comprising Oxen Furlong, Higher Oxen Furlong and Lower Oxen Furlong) to his grandson John Ryall Mayo, the future first mayor of Yeovil.
The 1842 Tithe Map and the 1846 Tithe Apportionment refer to Parcel 1406 Higher Oxenfurlong as pasture measuring 2a 3r 0p. The Apportionment noted that John Ryall Mayo was both owner and occupier.
However the Apportionment, in a separate entry, also referred to Higher Oxen Furlong (Parcel 1407) also pasture and measuring 2a 0r 2p but owned by William Edwards with John Ryall Mayo as occupier. It should be noted that Lower Oxen Furlong (Parcel 1405) is not recorded in the Apportionment so it may be that the two parcels became confused.
Today the former field known as Higher Oxen Furlong is completely filled with housing of Combe Street Lane to the north and the central section of Combe Park to the south.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.
The Hollands area reproduced from the 1842 Tithe Map. Higher Oxen Furlong is toward top left.
The 1946 aerial photograph showing Higher Oxen Furlong right of centre. The hedge line between Higher Oxen Furlong and Lower Oxen Furlong is just discernible.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed over a modern map.