Glovers' housing in Huish
Paradise Row was a terrace of some twenty small cottages on the north side of Huish at its eastern end with, famously, only two shared privies between them. It was built as cheap housing, primarily for workers in the leather / gloving industries, between 1806 and 1831 as it doesn't appear on Watt's map of 1806 but is shown on Day's map of 1831. Nevertheless the western end of the terrace was built on the site of the Chequers Inn, a former a barn, flax shop and drying house that was still extant in 1812.
Paradise Row got its name from the fact that it was built next to the disused Tabernacle burial ground, indeed this whole end of Huish was colloquially known as Paradise and recorded as such in various census returns at least until 1891.
In the 1841 census Paradise
Row was home to
noted that the
305) were owned
by the Reverend
the cottages and
Paradise Row was demolished in 1936 and the site is now under Tesco’s car park.
1886 Ordnance Survey showing Paradise Row at the top of the map.
Paradise Row photographed about 1910.