Penny's Hill

Penny's Hill

A hillside field within the Manor of Hendford

 

Penny's Hill (Parcel 809) was a large, steep-sided field, falling east to west, within the Manor of Hendford. It was bounded on the west by the Ninesprings Stream and forms the eastern bank and the hill behind of that stream for about half its lower length. Now a managed mixed woodland, it forms a part of the Yeovil Country Park.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Penny's Hill was owned by the Rev. Edward Hansford Daniell and let to John Brook, who famed it as part of  Aldon Farm. It was, perhaps surprisingly, recorded as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 11a 3r 10p.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.

 

maps


This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.

 

The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Aldon area and the parcels of Aldon Farm shaded light green. Penny's Hill (Parcel 809) is at the top right. Although unshaded, in 1846 it formed part of Aldon Farm.