Gloving in yeovil
phillips & co
Glove Manufacturers of Vincent Street
Phillips & Co were small company of glove manufacturers, run by EA Phillips and WW Leworthy, located in Vincent Street, on the corner with Market Street. The company produced a photographic publicity booklet In 1924 (shown below) but it appears that the company had moved premises by the following year since the building was sold with vacant possession in August 1925.
As well as an office the small factory, described as "commodious and well-lighted", comprised a cutting shop, webbing room, machine room, ironing room and a banding and finishing room. The glove factory building still exists, as seen in the final two photographs below, and is now converted to shop premises.
The company was listed in Kelly's Directory of 1935.
By 1954 the company was known as Phillips & Leworthy Ltd and had moved to premises in Goldcroft. They were listed as Glove Manufacturers of Goldcroft in Edwin Snell's Directory of 1954, Foord's Directory of 1964 and Kelly's Directories of 1968, 1970, 1972 and 1974.
The company went into liquidation in 1975.
A full page advertisement from the June 1924 edition of "The Glover" listing those local companies taking part in the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley - including Phillips & Co.
In 1924 a photographic publicity booklet of the Phillips & Co glove factory was produced and the images from the booklet are reproduced below. The factory was on the corner of Vincent Street and Market Street. The building remains today - see final two photographs below.
WW Leworthy and EA Phillips seated in their office.
The front of the factory building.
The cutting shop.
The Webbing Room.
The machine room.
The Ironing Room.
The Banding and Finishing Room.
The notice of sale of the Vincent Street glove factory in the 14 August 1925 edition of the Western Gazette.
From my collection
Phillip's & Leworthy Ltd's advertisement in the 1961 Yeovil Rural District Official Guide. By this time the company were operating from Goldcroft.
Notice posted in the London Gazette edition of 27 March 1975 following the liquidation of the company.
The Phillips & Co glove factory building in 2013.
... and photographed again in 2014 after the trees had been cut down.