the history of yeovil's pubs
royal standard (2)
The Royal Standard was built in the mid-1950's to serve the Larkhill Road area where much post-war housing was being developed. In that sense it is a typical architecturally uninspired 'estate' pub of the period, red brick under a tiled roof in much the same vein as the Green Dragon, Milford Inn and the Sun Inn. Like these others, the Royal Standard was getting a little 'tired' and has an almost exclusively local clientele, however with the 2016 makeover (and decent ales) the 'new-look' Royal Standard is well worth a visit - check out the Gallery. It now features regularly in our Gentlemen's Liquid Refreshment Perambulations of Western Yeovil.
This Royal Standard was built after the first Royal Standard in Wellington Street was demolished to make way for the Wellington flats development. The license was transferred from the old to the new public house and the licensee of the former house, H Walker, became the licensee of the new house.
Photographed in 1960 by Charrington & Co Ltd's surveyors as part of a 'stocktaking' exercise of photographing Brutton's pubs prior to the brewery takeover.
Courtesy of Chris Rendell
The Royal Standard photographed in 1989.
The Royal Standard looking a little tired when photographed in 2009.
The Royal Standard with a new seating area to the front. Photographed in 2016.
A close-up view of the new seating area. Photographed in 2016.
The new bar, photographed in 2016.
1957 – H Walker
listed as Royal
1960 – H Walker (1960 Yeovil Directory) listed as Royal Standard
1964 – Ronald Harry C Hunnybun (Foord's 1964 Directory) listed as Royal Standard Inn
1965 – Licensee not named (1965 Yeovil Directory) listed as Royal Standard
1974 – Frank LW Wakeling (Kelly's 1974 Directoy) listed as Royal Standard PH
1987 – Licensee not named (Denton’s 1987 Directory) listed as Royal Standard