sparrow road

sparrow road

Formerly Sparrow Lane and Coalpaxy Lane

 

There was a John Sperwe, or Sparrow, whose will leaving lands in Yeovil is dated 1417. What we know today as Sparrow Road was shown on Bidder's map of 1843, albeit un-named but in the 1841 census it was called Sparrow Lane. In 1858 G Harris tendered an "Estimate for repairs to Caldpecksey Lane" being works to raise the road between Roping Path and Mudford Road Turnpike Road. In the 1871 census it was called Coalpaxy Lane but it was also known as Colpexin Lane.

At this time it was little better than an un-surfaced farm track between Mudford Road and Roping Path, later to become Roping Road, although several houses in two short terraces had been built on the northern side. No trace of these houses survive.

By 1881 it was known as Sparrow Lane again, a name which continued in use until well into the twentieth century. Between Roping Path and Milford Cross, where it met Goldcroft, it was only a footpath and is noted as such on the 1901 Ordnance Survey below, by which time there were still only some dozen or so houses on the north side between Mudford Road and Sparrow Lane, the south side being a large orchard. The eastern end was flanked by fields. This eastern end was not constructed as a road and built up until the late 1920s, which was probably the time it became known as Sparrow Road rather than Sparrow Lane.

 

MAP






The 1901 Ordnance Survey showing Sparrow Lane running across the map from Mudford Road at left to Milford Cross on Goldcroft at right. The eastern half was still just a footpath.

 

gallery



An aerial photograph of 1946 showing Sparrow Road running across the photograph from Mudford Road at left to Goldcroft at right. The two roads at the bottom of the photograph are Roping Road at left of centre and Mitchelmore Road at right of centre. 

 

Cottages in Sparrow Road photographed in 1956, looking west towards Mudford Road. The cottages, typical of Yeovil, were built in local Yeovil stone that was affected by heat from fires hence the flues often had to be rebuilt in brickwork as seen on the end house here.

 


Courtesy of Vivien and John Cornelius

The Sparrow Road Stores, almost opposite Mitchelmore Road - another 'corner shop' now closed and converted back to a private house. Photographed in 2003.