John & Thomas Swatridge
Early Yeovil Photographers
John Swatridge was born on 7 January 1810 at Beaminster, Dorset, the son of baker William Swatridge (b1781) and his wife Sarah (b1791). John was baptised at Beaminster on 28 January 1810. Nothing is known of John's early life but on 9 February 1836 he married Harriet Loring at Yeovil. In the announcement of their wedding in the Sherborne Mercury, both John and Harriet were noted as 'both of Yeovil'. Harriet, born in Axminster in 1816, was the daughter of William Loring and Kezia née Pierce. John and Harriet were to have three sons; Thomas Sydenham (1841-1909), Richard Waygood (1846-1879) and William (1848-1911).
John was a member of the Yeovil Vestry during the late 1830s and was first listed in a Yeovil trade directory in 1840 when he was listed as a Marble & Stone Mason of Cattle Market (today's Princes Street) and again in Middle Street, both in the Somerset Gazette's Directory of 1840.
John was, however, an influential Yeovilian since in March 1846 he was appointed Overseer at the Annual Vestry, together with Thomas Busby, George Wellington and John Newman Berkeley. As a complete sidenote, in November 1847 John was summoned to be a member of the jury on the inquest of the death of Yeovil chemist George Wellington, his fellow Overseer, in which it was determined that Wellington was 'found drowned'.
In the 1841 census John and Harriet and three-month old Thomas were living in Hendford (at the time this was the west side of today's Princes Street, near the corner of today's Westminster Street). Thirty year old John listed his occupation as a 'Carver & Gilder'. Living with them was a young carver's apprentice, a domestic servant and a nurse.
In 1850 John was listed twice in Hunt & Co's Directory of 1850; once as a 'Mason, Stone & Marble & Carver of Hendford' and also as a 'Stone & Marble Mason, Gilder of Hendford'. In all the above cases the Cattle Market and Hendford addresses were undoubtedly the same building shown in the gallery below.
In the following 1851 census it becomes clear that John's shop, which he lived above with his family, was situated between Stuckey's bank and the narrow entrance to Porter's Lane. The shop was later occupied by Linsey Denner (see photo below) and was demolished around 1918 for the widening of Porter's Lane into today's Westminster Street. In the census John and Harriet, together with their three sons and a domestic servant, were living above the shop premises. John gave his occupation as 'Carver & Gilder & Statuary Mason employing 6 men, 1 apprentice and 3 boys'.
John was listed as a Stone and Marble Mason & Gilder of Hendford twice in Slater's Directory of 1852 and the Churchwardens' Accounts refer to him as a Marble Mason in 1855. These were the last listings of him in this trade although he undoubtedly carried on in this profession. However, it must have been around this time that he became interested in photography and possibly set up a photographic studio in his shop premises. There is no doubt that he considered himself a professional photographer as evidenced by the photograph of John Perry, dating to about 1855, illustrated below, which carries a professional logo on the reverse. At the same time, however, his son Thomas was also working as a photographer as seen by the advertisements of 1858 and 1860 below.
The 1861 census shows John and Harriet, together with Thomas and a domestic servant living at Princes Street (this was still the same property previously described as being in Hendford, but the new name of Princes Street became commonly used at this time). At this time John gave his occupation as a Carver & Gilder, Stone Mason employing 5 men & 2 boys' with no mention of photography, while 20-year old Thomas gave his occupation as a Photographer.
On 9 November 1863 Thomas married Emma Rosetta Mary Verrals (Venables) in Westminster, London. They lived in Bristol between 1863 and 1867 where Thomas traded as a 'Hat and Cap Dealer, Photographer, Dealer & Chapman'. Unfortunately he was made bankrupt in 1868.
By the time of the 1871 census Thomas and Emma, together with their 4-year old daughter Rosalina and Emma's widowed mother Elizabeth Venables, were living at 35 Balls Pond Road, Hackney. Thomas gave his occupation as Photographer and he is known to have had his studio at this address until 1877.
Harriett died in Yeovil in the spring of 1874 aged 59. John Swatridge died on 7 October 1876 in Chicago, Illinois, USA, aged 66. His statuary and monumental masons business was taken over by Cole & Son who were advertising in Whitby's Yeovil Almanack Advertiser from 1878 as 'late Swatridge'.
Thomas' later photographic studios were at 66 Church Street, Camberwell and also 50 Dalston Lane, Hackney (1877-1881) before moving to 3 Alfred Terrace, Holloway Road, Islington (1883-4). By the time of the 1901 census Thomas had retired and he died in Lambeth in 1909.
John Swatridge's signature against the Vestry minutes of 8 September 1836.
The notice of John Swatridge's appointment as Overseer in the 28 March 1846 edition of the Western Flying Post.
From my collection
This postcard of the northern end of Hendford, postally unused, I'd guess dates to about 1895. At extreme left is just seen the edge of Linsey Denner's shop and next to it are the remaining shops before he took them over. The two men at centre are standing outside Stuckey's Bank and John Swatridge's shop (demolished before 1918) and between John's shop and Genge's shop is the narrow entrance to Porter's Lane (later widened to become today's Westminster Street).
From my collection
This postcard of Princes Street was used in 1905 although I have seen it as early as 1903. At left is Linsey Denner's "gentleman's and juvenile ready-made and outfitting establishment" at 79 Hendford, situated between Stuckey's bank and the narrow entrance to Porter's Lane. This was John Swatridge's shop before Denner took it over.
A sepia photograph by John Swatridge of John Perry, circa 1855, holding a file and a cogged wheel he had presumably made himself. A note on the back of the photograph recorded "John Perry, Technical Blacksmith of Yeovil".
John Swatridge's logo on the back of the John Perry portrait above.
Courtesy of Bill & Audrey Robinson
A carte de visite by John Swatridge and, judging by the logo on the back, dating to the 1860s.
A Carte de Visite by John Swatridge, with the back logo shown by its side. The square corners of the CDV would suggest a date of the very early 1870s.
Courtesy of Deborah Eaton
Two cartes de visite by John Swatridge. The lady at left is thought to be Hester Gifford (1814-1896) and the younger woman may be her daughter. Again, the square corners of the CDVs would suggest a date of the very early 1870s.
John's son, Thomas Sydenham Swatridge, was just seventeen years old and clearly operating from his father's shop when he began his photographic career.
This advertisement appeared in the Yeovil edition of the Western Flying Post on 10 August 1858.
The announcement of the collaboration between Thomas Swatridge and artist Frederick Treble who would produce oil portraits based on Thomas' photographs ran in the Western Flying Post throughout May and June 1859. The partnership did not last long as the following year Thomas was collaborating with another artist - Mr Lawson (see below).
An advertisement in the 12 June 1860 edition of the Western Flying Post announcing the forthcoming collaboration between Thomas Swatridge and Mr Lawson.
An advertisement in the 3 July 1860 edition of the Western Flying Post .
Courtesy of Ali Salman
A carte de visite by Thomas Swatridge. The studio address of 50 Dalston Lane dates this carte to between 1877 and 1881.
An example of John Swatridge's carved marble work - the memorial to Captain Prowse in St John's church. The cost of the memorial was £81 (just over £8,000 at 2017's value).