A 16th century field, now part of the trading estate
Tistlemoor, also known as Distlemoor and Ditchelmoor, is a dialectic corruption for thistle, so the field name actually means Thistle Moor. The 1842 Tithe Map shows Thistlemoor running south from Little Lyde and the 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted Parcel "870 In Thistlemoor, meadow." This, when combined with two fields slightly further south (Distlemoor and Mark's Mead or Distlemoor) may indicate that the original Medieval Ditchelmoor / Thistlemoor ran alongside the River Yeo all the way from London Road (today's Sherborne Road) as far as the stream south of Reckless Lake. The 1589 Terrier indicates the three great fields - west, middle and east - as shown on the map below, "Eastfields from Meadway Gate the lower part of the way, unto Reckless gate and from thence to the great river and up to Yeo. Bridge being Ditchelmore.... "
The 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted that Thistlemoor (Parcel 870) was owned by John Tanner Whiteley Pitcher and the tenant was John Brooks Jnr. The Apportionment recorded that it was used as meadow for growing hay and measured 4a 0r 10p.
Thistlemoor was bounded on the northwest by East Beachams Close (Parcels 872 and 873) and Grubbins (Parcel 874), on the southwest by Thompson's Close (Parcel 869), on the southeast by the River Yeo and on the northeast by Drang (Parcel 871).
Until relatively recently the western end of the former Thistlemoor was used as allotments but today is occupied by buildings of the industrial estate. The railway runs through the middle of the former field and the northern tip of the sewage treatment works occupies the eastern end.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.
A map of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor showing conjectured locations of several fields based on descriptions in the 1589 Terrier.
This map is based on the 1842 Tithe Map with field names chiefly added from the 1846 Tithe Apportionment.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed (roughly) over a modern street map. Bearing in mind the relatively primitive surveying equipment of the 1840s they weren't all that far out.
The 1927 Ordnance Survey showing the whole of the Pen Mill - Lyde Lane area.
A modern aerial
Google Maps with
outlined in red.