Once part of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor
Thompson's Close was a large field bordering the River Yeo that had originally formed part of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor. Thompson's Close lay between fields called Thistlemoor and Distlemoor, indicating that the original Medieval Ditchelmoor / Thistlemoor, including what would become Thompson's Close, ran alongside the River Yeo all the way from London Road (today's Sherborne Road) as far as the stream south of Reckless Lake.
A deed of exchange dated 1823 noted "Thompson's Close formerly held by Joseph Gibbon, then Thomas Francis, then Charles Francis...."
The 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted that Thompson's Close (Parcel 869) was owned by John Tanner Whitely Pitcher and the tenant was John Brooks Jnr. The Apportionment noted that it was used as meadow and measured 5a 2r 2p.
Thompson's Close (Parcel 869) was bounded on the northwest by Jacob's Medway (Parcel 867) and East Beacham Close (Parcel 872), on the southwest by Medway (Parcel 868) and Distlemoor (Parcel 861), on the southeast by the River Yeo and on the northeast by Thistlemoor (Parcel 870).
Today the eastern part of the former Thompson's Close is occupied by the northern part of the Yeovil sewage works, while the railway cuts across what would have been the western end.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
maps & Aerial photographs
This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.
A map of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor showing conjectured locations of several fields based on descriptions in the 1589 Terrier.
This map is based on the 1842 Tithe Map with field names chiefly added from the 1846 Tithe Apportionment.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed (roughly) over a modern street map. Bearing in mind the relatively primitive surveying equipment of the 1840s they weren't all that far out.
The 1927 Ordnance Survey showing the whole of the Pen Mill - Lyde Lane area. By this time the field boundaries of former Thompson's Close had changed considerably.
A modern aerial photograph 'borrowed' from Google Maps with the approximate boundaries of Thompson's Close (Parcel 869) outlined in red.