Yeovil old brewery

Yeovil old brewery

Hendford

 

Although it is not known when the Yeovil Old Brewery was founded, it is likely that it was first the property of Samuel Kitson (1). Among the bonds and associated papers involving Hugh Donn of Yeovil, mercer, and his wife, Mary, held at the Taunton Heritage Centre are "loose accounts for disbursements on houses (including the malt house) by Samuel Kitson" dating to 1735-6, denoting that Samuel (1) was a maltster, and probably also a brewer.

It is thought that Samuel's premises were the Yeovil Old Brewery in Hendford (the site is now the Masonic Hall) opposite Hendford House (today's Manor Hotel). The Old Brewery was later described as "... most desirably situate in Hendford, in the town of Yeovil, together with the commodious dwelling-house and extensive garden adjoining... The Trade Premises comprise a good 10-quarter Malthouse and Brewery, well supplied with water, extensive Cellarage, Stable, Loft, Waggon-house, Counting-house and Outbuildings." The house was described as "consisting of 3 good sitting rooms on the ground floor, 5 bedrooms, and roomy attic over, kitchen, scullery, larder and underground cellar."

Samuel Kitson (1) died in 1744, and a deed dated 1770 records Samuel (1)'s son, Samuel (2), as a maltster like his father and it is assumed that he took over the Yeovil Old Brewery from his father.

Samuel Kitson (2) died in 1782. His wife Betty clearly took on the business, since the Universal British Directory of 1790 noted 'Mrs Kitson' as a maltster and her son Samuel Kitson (3) as a brewer. Betty died in Yeovil in 1816, aged 71.

Samuel Kitson (3) was a brewer and maltster of the Yeovil Old Brewery in Hendford. Thomas Cave (1781-1863)  was living in Yeovil by 1818 and Samuel (3) and Thomas Cave entered a partnership - Kitson & Cave - which was listed in Pigot's Directory of 1824. However, Thomas left the partnership in 1830 which was finally officially dissolved in December of that year.

After Cave's departure from Kitson & Cave, Samuel (3) entered into a partnership with Edmund Henning. Edmund moved his family to Yeovil, probably as a result of the advertisement seeking a partner (see Gallery) placed in the 5 April 1830 edition of the Western Flying Post. Henning went into partnership with Samuel (3) as 'maltsters and brewers' at the Yeovil Old Brewery. The partnership between Samuel Kitson and Edmund Henning was dissolved in 1835. In fact, since Samuel (3) died in 1823, it is likely that his share of the partnership was carried on by his wife Susannah. She died in Yeovil in 1837.

Edmund Henning died in Yeovil in 1861. His son John inherited the Old Brewery, which he sold off piecemeal within two months of his father's death.

 

MAPs




Edward Bullock Watts' map of 1806 showing the Kitson's Old Brewery / malthouse at centre. The road running along the top is West Hendford (labelled Salthouse Lane) and Hendford runs diagonally from the top right quadrant to the bottom left corner.

 

This is a portion of the 1842 Tithe Map showing West Hendford running along the top and joining Hendford which comes up from bottom left. Hendford House is today's Manor Hotel and the Kitson's 'Yeovil Old Brewery' is shown at centre and marked as Parcel 369.

 

gallery



A notice placed in the 5 April 1830 edition of the Western Flying Post noting the 'retirement' of Thomas Cave from the partnership.

 

The Old Brewery was offered to let in this advertisement from the 2 March 1861 edition of the Salisbury & Winchester Journal.

 

The Old Brewery clearly wasn't let following the previous advertisement above, so this notice of sale of the Yeovil Old Brewery by John Henning (following the death of his father Edmund Henning) is from the 20 June 1861 edition of the Dorset County Chronicle.