A touch of irony in a field name
The ironic use of this name when applied to very small fields was not at all unusual and there was another of the same name in Preston Plucknett. Originally just a part of the great manorial Middle Field of Kingston, the 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted that this field, Hundred Acres (1079) was, in fact, a mere 3a 2r 20p and was used as pasture for grazing animals. The Apportionment noted that Hundred Acres was owned by Henry Goodford of Chilton Cantelo and the tenant was John Newman Berkley.
An Agreement for a Lease dated 30 August 1849 between Henry Goodford Esq. of Chilton Cantelo and Nathaniel Bartlett, a baker of Yeovil, for "Land late in the occupation Mr John Newman-Birkley in Yeovil" included "a cottage and garden Hundred Acres 3a 2r 20p.".
Today Hundred Acres has been built on with the houses and gardens of the western side of Mudford Road from opposite Goldcroft as far south as Holcote House.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.
The Hollands area reproduced from the 1842 Tithe Map. Hundred Acres is centre right.
The 1946 aerial photograph showing Hundred Acres built on with the houses opposite the entrance to Goldcroft at top, right of centre, and running down to Holcote House.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed over a modern map.