A Yeovil Armory
A Yeovil Armory
Arms of families connected with Yeovil
Most of the following images of shields of arms are based on Leslie Brooke's "A Yeovil Armory" held in the Tite Collection, Yeovil Library.
Arms of Roger Arundel
The Manor of Lyde had its own entry in the Domesday Book with a total of five households and in the time of King Edward was held by Godwin and Saeric. The post-Conquest tenant-in-chief was "Rogerius Arundel", thought to be most likely a kinsman of Roger de Montgomeri, and Azelin was under-tenant. The family were considerable land owners in Somerset and elsewhere. The arms of Arundel were - sable, six swallows argent, 3, 2, 1 (on a black field, six silver swallows, three over two over one).
Arms of Bermondsey Priory, before 1399
By 1104 William of Mortain, who took part in the unsuccessful rising against William Rufus, had succeeded his father as tenant-in-chief of his Yeovil lands. He was banished by Henry I and these lands, the future Manor of Kingston reverted to the crown. William was forced to become a monk at the newly-established Cluniac priory at Bermondsey. The pre-1399 arms of Bermondsey Priory were - per pale gules and azure, a bordure argent (a divided field of red and blue with a silver border).
Arms of Bermondsey Priory, after 1399
The Monks of Bermondsey were to maintain two chaplains to serve Preston Bermondsey chapel. Ansger's son, Walter, added two hides at Stone, which became the detached portion of the parish. The post-1399 arms of Bermondsey Priory were - per pale gules and azure, over all a lion passant guardant holding a pastoral staff enfiled with a mitre or, a bordure argent charged with eight letters B, argent (a divided field of red and blue with a golden walking lion, his head facing, holding a crozier piercing a mitre. A silver border with eight letters B).
Arms of Bide
William Bide, who died in 1829, left to his son William his 'new-built' glove factory in Reckleford. In 1841 William was employing 200 men, 60 boys and 2,000 women in the gloving trade. He died in 1864 having been an Alderman, Mayor of Yeovil and a Borough Magistrate.
The Bide arms were argent, on a pale azure three anchors erect of the field (on a silver shield, a blue vertical stripe a third of the shield wide containing three anchors displayed upright).
Arms of Bingham - ancient
William de Bingham held the custody of lands in West Marsh and Kingston in the fourteenth century. A seal on a grant of 1353 shows the arms as here, with the words "Sigillum Willielmi de Bingham" (seal of William Bingham).
The arms were described as ermine, on a chief azure three lions rampant, or (a shield of the fur ermine with the top third blue containing three golden lions, rearing up).
Arms of Bingham - modern
The Bingham family, besides holding lands in Yeovil Marsh and Kingston, were also resident at Sutton Bingham.
Superseding the arms shown above, the modern Bingham arms are described as azure, a bend cottised between six crosses patèe or (on a blue shield with a golden a straight stripe extending from the left (as viewed) corner to the opposite edge of the shield and with matching parallel side-stripes, between six golden crosses with spreading ends).
Arms of Botreaux - ancient
John Botreaux, third and youngest son of William, Lord Botreaux of North Cadbury, was a co-founder of the Chantry of the Holy Cross in St John's church in 1432, in honour of his wife Alice. He endowed it with lands in Kingston.
The arms were argent, three toads erect, 2, 1, sable (on a silver field, three upright black toads, two above the third).
Arms of Burnell
The estate of Newton Surmaville came to the Burnell family in 1442. John Burnell sold the estate to John Compton in 1510. The arms of this family are recorded by Gerard of Trent in his 'particular description' of Somerset in 1633.
The arms were argent, a bend azure between six Brent geese proper (on a silver shield a blue straight stripe extending from the left (as viewed) corner to the opposite edge of the shield, between six Brent geese in natural colours).
Arms of Burton
These arms appear on the west wall of the south transept of St John's church on a memorial to Edward Burton (d1777) and his wife Elizabeth (d1766).
The arms were quarterly, 1 & 4 per bend argent and azure, a bend per bend wavy sable and gules; 2 & 3 argent a fleur-de-lys sable (quarters 1 & 4 a silver and blue field divided diagonally and surmounted by a wavy black and red line, quarters 2 & 3 with a silver field and a black fleur-de-lys).
Arms of Cantelupe
William Cantelupe held Kingston Manor in 1204, in wardship of a de Say minor. The family also appended their name to Chilton Cantelo.
The arms were gules, three leopards' heads jessant-de-lys or (on a red field, three golden leopards heads - in heraldic terms the face of a lion - each with a fleur-de-lys passing through it).
Arms of Carent
The Carent family were first connected with Yeovil in 1324, and held lands in Kingston and Marsh until the late sixteenth century and their name is perpetuated in Carent's Farm.
The arms were argent, three roundels chevrony gules and azure (on a silver field, three roundels of red and blue chevrons).
Arms of Chideock
The manor and advowson of the Rectory of Kingston came to the Chideocks by a daughter of Robert Fitzpaine in 1344, passing to the Holland family, Earls of Kent, towards the end of the reign of Richard the Second.
The Chideock arms were gules, an escutcheon and an orle of martlets argent (on a red field, a silver shield and a border of silver martlets - birds like swallows with thighs but no visible legs).
Arms of Compton
John Compton of Beckington acquired Newton Surmaville from John Burnell in 1510. His grandson, another John Compton, sold Newton to Robert Harbyn of Wyke, near Gillingham, Dorset, in 1608.
The arms were sable, three helmets within a bordure argent (three silver helmets on a shield with a black field and a silver border.
Arms of Crewkerne
These arms are shown on the brass of Gyles and Isabell Penne in St John's church, through the arms of Gyles' mother's family, the Crewkernes of Childhay, Dorset. The tinctures shown here are as recorded in 1633 by Gerard. The arms were argent, on a chevron gules, between three bugle horns sable stringed or, as many cross crosslets patèe fitchée argent (on a silver field, a red chevron between three black bugle horns with golden strings, three silver crosses with spreading ends and pointed lower ends).
Arms of Dampier
Thomas William Dampier, born 1844, only son of Thomas Dampier of Kingston Manor, assumed the additional surname of Bide and quartered the Bide arms (see above) with his own by Royal Licence under the terms of the will of his maternal uncle, William Bide.
The arms were or, a chevron between, in chief, two cross crosslets fitchée and, in base, a lion rampant, sable (on a golden field, a black chevron with two black crosses with pointed lower ends above and a black standing lion).
Arms of Daniell
The Daniell family was associated with Yeovil from at least the early 18th century. They were in residence at Penn House early in the 19th century and also at Hendford House, now the manor hotel, as well as a very large house in Middle Street. In addition to being glovers, linen-drapers and mercers, John Daniel the elder became a banker.
The arms were argent, a pale fusilly sable (on a silver field a black horizontal stripe made of lozenge shapes).
Arms of Donn
The Donn family are commemorated in a memorial in St John's church, bearing these arms, recording the death of mercer William Donn (1692-1757), his wife Jane 1694-1770) and their sons William (1723-1754) and Henry (1725-1794). Henry was Custos of Woborn Almshouse for many years. The arms were azure, a horse rampant sable, impaling sable, three fleurs-de-lys 2, 1, or ('impaling' is setting side by side two coats of arms in the same shield; here a rearing black horse on a blue field and three golden fleurs-de-lys, two over one, on a black field).
Arms of Dyer
John Dyer was the last vicar to be presented by the Abbess of Syon. The will of 'John Dyar of Yevyll' of 1554 mentions his wife Elizabeth, sons Stephin and John, and a daughter Johan. John Dyar, churchwarden, was 'Robin Hood' in 1577.
The arms were or, a chief indented gules (on a golden field, a red chief - the first of the Ordinaries, and occupying about one-third of the shield from the top downward - with its edge notched with small teeth).
Arms of Fane
Thomas Fane of Brympton, later Earl of Westmoreland, acquired the Manor of Preston Plucknett from William Cox, a timber merchant. The manor passed to his daughter, Lady Georgiana Fane in 1841.
The arms were azure, three dexter gauntlets, backs affronty or (on a blue field, three golden right-hand gauntlets with the backs facing the onlooker).
Arms of Fitzalan, Earls of Arundel
John Maltravers' granddaughter married John Fitz Alan, a younger son of the Earl of Arundel. As a consequence the advowson of Yeovil passed to the Arundels. In 1415 Thomas, the 13th Earl of Arundel, sold the lordship and advowson to Henry V but kept the Manor of Hendford. The Arundels kept the Manor of Hendford until Henry Fitzalan (1512-1580), 19th Earl of Arundel, exchanged it with Queen Elizabeth in 1561. The arms of Fitzalan, Earls of Arundel were gules, a lion rampant or (on a red field, a golden standing lion).
Arms of Fitzpaine
Sir Robert Fitzpaine acquired the Manor of Kingston from John de Wigdon circa 1315. His son, also Robert, also held the Manor of Lyde in the right of his wife Margaret. Kingston manor passed from the Fitzpaines to the Chideocks in 1344.
The arms were gules, three lions passant in pale argent, debruised by a bend azure (on a red field, three silver lions walking past, beneath one another with a blue stripe over them).
Arms of Freke
In 1705 Thomas Freke of Bristol bought part of Preston Bermondsey from the King family. Philip Freke bought the remained of Preston Bermondsey from the Moore family in 1709. Thomas acquired Philip's holdings, and other properties between 1710 and 1716. An heir, John Freke, sold the manor to John Butler in 1787. The Freke family arms were sable, two bars or in chief three mullets of the last (a black field with two horizontal golden bars, the top third of the field - the first of the Ordinaries - containing three golden stars representing the rowels of spurs).
Arms of Goodford impaling Cholmeley
In 1846 Henry Goodford was owner of a considerable amount of land, including the cottage still standing in Mudford Road known as Goodford's Folly that includes these arms, dated 1821.
The Goodford arms were azure on a chevron between three boars' heads argent langued and couped gules as many pellets (on a blue field, a central silver chevron with three black roundels set between three boar's heads - two above the chevron, one below - with red tongues, the heads cut short.
The Cholmeley arms were gules, two helmets in chief and a garb in base or (on a red field two gold helmets at the top over a gold sheaf of corn at the bottom).
Arms of Harbin
In May 1612 these arms were granted to Robert Harbin by William Camden, Elizabeth I's Officer of Arms. This date with the initials RH appear on lead water pipes at Newton Surmaville as the new manor house was completed, replacing the earlier residence of the Compton family. The arms were azure, a saltire voided between four spears' head erect or (a blue field, a golden saltire cross with the middle removed so the field is visible, between four golden erect spear heads).
Arms of Harbin impaling Wyndham
The arms of Harbin impaling Wyndham appear on a memorial on the west wall of St John's church and date from 1673 when William Harbin of Newton Surmaville married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Francis Wyndham, Bart, of Trent. Their combined ages were 36.
The Wyndham arms were azure, a chevron between three lions' heads erased or (on a blue field, a golden chevron between three golden lions' heads, torn off leaving a ragged edge).
Arms of Holland
Towards the end of the reign of Richard II (1377-1399), the Manor of Kingston was in possession of the Earls of Kent, the first of whom was Thomas de Holland, half-brother of Richard II. He was authorised to use the royal lions of England within a silver border in place of his previous arms. The arms were gules, three lions passant guardant or, within a border argent (on a red field, three passing golden lions with faces turned to the onlooker, all within a silver border.
Arms of Holme
Gerard recorded these are in 1633 as those of John Holme, who came to possess Newton Surmaville through the death of his father-in-law, John Musket, in 1373. Musket's heir was his daughter Agnes, wife of John Holme.
The arms were argent, a cross botonné gules (on a silver field, a red cross with the ends shaped like a trefoil).
Arms of Hooper
Burke's 'General Armory' records these as the arms of Thomas Hooper of Hendford. The Hoopers lived in Hendford Manor until the 1830s. The Hoopers were long associated with Yeovil; Stephen Hooper (d post 1452) owned property in Grope Lane and another Stephen gave the 9th and tenor bells to St John's church in 1626.
The arms were gyronny of eight ermine and azure, over all a tower argent (on a field of eight triangles of ermine and blue, a silver tower).
Arms of Horsey
The Manor of Yeovil, its rectory, lands and property of Holy Trinity Chantry in St John's church were leased to Sir John Horsey of Clifton Maybank by the Abbess and Convent of Syon. The Horseys remained in possession of the lordship until 1610. Their name is perpetuated in Horsey Lane, previously the whole of West Hendford. The arms were azure, three nags' heads couped or, bridled argent (on a blue field, three golden horses heads cut off in a straight line, with silver bridles).
Arms of Maltravers
Hugh Maltravers held of William d'Ow six of the eight hides which comprised Yeovil in 1086. The advowson of St John's was finally separated from Hendford Manor in 1334 and from 1339 it was granted absolutely to John Maltravers. The advowson remained with the Maltravers until the line ended with his granddaughters and coheirs, Joan and Eleanor, at his death in 1350. At the death of Joan without issue, Eleanor became de jure Baroness Maltravers. The original Maltravers arms were sable, fretty or (on a black field, a continuous golden fret).
Arms of Milles
Thomas Milles was born at Newton Surmaville in 1827, the son of Thomas Potter Milles and Elizabeth, daughter of William Harbin. His memorial, on the west wall of the north transept of St John's church shows him to have been Major-General in the 1st Gordon Highlanders. He died in 1903 and was buried at Sidmouth. The arms were argent, a chevron between three mill-rinds sable ( on a silver field a black chevron between three black mill-rinds - iron pieces supporting a mill stone).
Arms of Neal
This crest appears on a memorial on the east wall of the south transept of St John's church, to John Neal who died in 1847, aged 65. There is also a memorial window in the church to William Neal, who died in 1834 aged 62 and is believed to be John's father. The arms were paly of six argent and azure, on a bend gules, a greyhound's head erased between two dexter hands couped at the wrist argent (on a field of silver and blue divided perpendicularly, a diagonal red stripe with a silver greyhound's head, violently torn off, between two silver left hands cut straight across the wrist).
Arms of Newman impaling Mompesson
John Newman, a roper 'of Kingston juxte Yeovil', was the son of Francis Holles Newman and Eleanor, daughter of Thomas Mompesson, and left in his will messuages, tenements and hereditaments in Yeovil and Kingston. The inescutcheon was granted to Richard Newman (d1664).
The arms of Newman were quarterly sable and argent, in the first and fourth three mullets of the second, an inescutchen gules charged with a portcullis regally crowned or (a field quartered black and silver, with three silver stars in 1 and 4, with a single red escutcheon with a golden portcullis with a royal crown). The arms of Mompesson were argent, a lion rampant sable, on the shoulder a martlett of the first (on a silver field, a rearing black lion with a silver bird resembling a swallow on its shoulder).
Arms of Northumberland
The Earls of Northumberland became heirs to the Poyning estates which included Lyde.
The arms were or, a lion rampant azure (on a golden field a rearing blue lion).
Arms of Paynter
James Bernard Paynter of Hendford Manor, provided the installation of electricity in St John's church in the early part of 1925.
The arms were azure, three blocks argent each charged with an annulet sable (on a blue field, three silver rectangles - in this instance a slightly widened version of a billet - each with a small black ring).
Arms of Penny
The memorial to Henry Penny (1778-1855) on the west wall of the north aisle of St John's church bears the arms granted to the Penny family, of whom Giles Penne was a member, subsequent to his death.
The arms were gules, six fleurs-de-lys or, 3, 2, 1 (on a red field, six golden fleurs-de-lys, three over two, over one).
Arms of Phelips
The The Phelips family had very close links with Yeovil for 300 years. Sir Edward Phelips, the builder of Montacute House, was granted the Lordship of Yeovil by James I in 1611. The family continued to hold the Lordship until 1846 when William Phelips sold it to George Harbin of Newton Surmaville.
The arms were argent, a chevron between three roses gules, barbed and seeded proper (on a silver field, a red chevron between three red roses with naturally-coloured leaves and centres).
Arms of Plugenet
Sir Alan Plugenet (or Ploknet) who gave Preston Plucknett his name, was excommunicated in 1315 for having refused to bury his mother according to her wishes and also for assaulting the Rural Dean and forcing him to eat the deed of citation.
The arms of Plugenet were ermine, a bend fusilly gules (on a field of the fur ermine, a red diagonal stripe made of lozenge shapes).
Arms of Poynings
The Poynings family were sometime owners of Lyde. Sir Richard was involved with the early days of Woborn Almshouse. He and his wife, Eleanor, were among those for whom a chaplain was to perform a daily service either in the almshouse chapel or in St John's church.
The Poynings arms were barry of six or and vert, a bendlet jules (on a field horizontally divided into six golden and green stripes, a narrow red diagonal stripe).
Arms of Prowse
The earliest known member of the Prowse family, recorded on a brass on the floor of the chancel of St John's church, is George Prowse who died in 1624. The family's main residence was in Kingston. John Prowse bought the manor house in 1710.
The Prowse arms were sable, three lions rampant, argent (on a black field, three rearing silver lions).
Arms of Rede
William le Rede was Provost of Yeovil in the reign of Edward I. In the Exchequer Lay Subsidies for Yeovil of 1327, a William le Rede of Yeovil is shown as paying 15d, while in 1399 a John Rede was presented as Vicar of Yeovil by the King.
The Rede arms were gules, a bend lozengy argent (on a red field, a silver diagonal band made of lozenges or diamonds).
Arms of Say
The Manor of Kingston was held by the de Say family soon after the Conquest. It continued in their possession until the thirteenth century when the inheritance passed to two daughters of Richard de Say; Edith who married Thomas de Huntley and Matilda who married Thomas de Arderne.
The arms were quarterly or and gules ( a quartered field of gold and red).
Arms of Seward
Vicar of Yeovil
in 1580. Ambrose
bearing a cross
Arms of Spencer
Sir John Spencer acquired the Manor of Hendford from Elizabeth I in 1599. On his death in 1633 the manor passed to his daughter Elizabeth, wife of William, second Lord Compton, who became Earl of Northampton. The Spencer arms were quarterly argent and gules, in the second and third a fret or, overall a bend sable charged with three escallops of the first (on a quartered field of silver and red, with a golden fret in the second and third, a black diagonal band with three silver scallops).
Arms of Stourton
Sir John Stourton of Preston Plucknett left 40 shillings to the fabric of the church of Yeovil in 1438. As well as Preston, he owned Brympton and Pendomer, and was uncle of the first Lord Stourton. Of his three daughters, Joan took Brympton to John Sydenham, Cicely took Preston to John Hill and Alice took Pendomer to William Daubeny. The arms of Stourton were sable, a bend or between six fountains (on a black field, a golden diagonal stripe between the representation of six fountains).
Arms of Upton
These arms appear on a memorial on the west wall of the south aisle of St John's church to George Proctor Upton (1763-1827) and his wife Eleanor née Leach (1761-1848).
The arms of Upton are sable, a cross moline argent (a black field charged with a silver cross having bifurcated ends).
Arms of Waldegrave
The Manor of Preston Plucknett was shared by four cousins following the death of Sir William Say in 1529, one of whom was John Waldegrave. By 1599 he had acquired the whole of his cousins' holdings. He settled it on the marriage of his eldest son, Edward, with Elinor Lovell and it continued in the Waldegrave family until it was sold to Edward Phelips in 1725.
The arms were per pale argent and gules (a divided field of silver and red).
Arms of Wigton
Walter de Wigton was in possession of the Manor of Kingston during the reign of Edward I. He died in 1286 and the estate was inherited by his 22-year old son, John, who, before his death about 1316, sold Kingston to Robert Fitzpaine. The name, as Wigdon, survived as the designation given to East Marsh. The arms of Wigton were sable, three mullets and a bordure indented or (on a black field with a golden indented border, three golden stars representing rowels of spurs).
Arms of Wyndham
The Wyndhams of nearby Trent had long associations with Yeovil and intermarried with the Harbin family, as seen in the impaled arms of Harbin and Wyndham above.
The Wyndham arms were azure, a chevron between three lions' heads erased or (on a blue field, a golden chevron between three golden lions' heads, torn off leaving a ragged edge).