The Bow

The Bow

The Borough

 

The Bow, or Bow House, took its name from the great timber bow arch which sprang from the edge of the pavement (not to be confused with a small shed-like lean-to attached to the Church House on the corner of Middle Street and Silver Street also referred to as the Bow) The Bow was an old house that stood in the Borough, on the corner of Grope Lane (now Wine Street). It had an overhanging front to the first floor, featuring an oriel window at first floor, supported by two columns. It was demolished in the middle of the nineteenth century and caused a stir amongst Yeovilians similar to the destruction of the George in the 1960's.

Or, as Daniel Vickery put it in his ‘Sketch of the Town of Yeovil’ in 1856 – “At the corner near Wine-street, (Grope Lane), now stands a relic of our former domestic architecture, the venerable old patriarch of bye-gone houses, lending indeed under the weight of timber and of years, but still performing the end of its erection, shelter and use. Ancient domicile!! thou art sadly out of place amid thy flaunting neighbours, and, as is the case sometimes with a poor relation, there are those who would rather have thy room than thy company. Yet we shall part with thee with regret. Thou hast bravely done thy duty to those who have taken shelter, and fought life's battle beneath thy ancient roof, during many generations; but thou hast outlived thy position, and like the Portreeves, thy ancient neighbours, thou must also give place, not to a better, but a more modern and practical dispensation.”

On Monday, 30 July 1744 the first issue of 'The Western Flying Post, or Yeovil Mercury' was launched in Yeovil by Robert Goadby whose hand printing press was located in the Bow.

 

GALLERY

 

The Bow, in the Borough on the corner of Grope Lane.

 

A painting made in 1810 of the Borough looking towards High Street which runs to the distance at left. The building at centre was the Market House, built in 1740, and behind it to the right was the butcher's Shambles, built in 1803.

 

Part of the above 1810 painting of the Borough showing, at extreme left, the old house known as The Bow. The building at centre with the arched ground floor is the only building surviving in the Borough, today it is Superdrug.