western flying post or yeovil mercury
western flying post
or Yeovil Mercury
The first newspaper printed and published in Somerset was produced in Taunton in 1725, the second was produced in Bath in 1744. Just five months later on Monday, 30 July 1744 the first issue of 'The Western Flying Post, or Yeovil Mercury' was launched in Yeovil by Robert Goadby.
set up in direct
in 1734 and
Dorset. In 1746
the founder of
Mercury died and
his widow sold
Post or Yeovil
Mercury with the
Mercury and on
first issue of
Flying Post; or
At this time
Yeovil and moved
Below is a facsimile of the front page of the Western Flying Post or Yeovil Mercury from 1748. Click on this image to view a full sized image in a new window.
In its edition of 26 June 1867 the Taunton Courier & Western Advertiser recorded (see below) the history of ownership of the newspaper "From Messrs Brittan it passed into the hands of Mr John Noake Highmore. He sold it to Mr May, of Taunton. Mr May disposed of it to Mr Manfield, of Dorchester, who in turn disposed of it to the Church and County Newspaper Company."
The Bow, in the Borough on the corner of Grope Lane, the building where Robert Goadby set up his hand printing press.
A painting made in 1810 of the Borough looking towards High Street which runs to the distance at left. At extreme left is the old house known as The Bow and at extreme right is the Tolle Hall surmounted by its clock. The building at centre was the Market House, built in 1740, and behind it to the right was the butcher's Shambles, built in 1803.
A typical front page, this edition from 22 August 1748.
From my collection
The top half of the 'Western Flying Post, Sherborne and Yeovil Mercury' dated Saturday 2 September 1826.
An article from the Taunton Courier & Western Advertiser's edition of 26 June 1867 outlining the ownership of the Sherborne Mercury.
The former offices of the 'Western Flying Post and Yeovil Times' between 1861 and 1867. It was later Yeovil's second Post Office (from 1876 to 1902).