Yeovil Trades & Traders
Generations of chemists in the Borough
For decades the Medical Hall stood in the Borough, occupying the corner between Middle Street and Wine Street although the name 'Medical Hall' was probably not used until the 1870's even though it was the premises of a succession of chemists and druggists. It is not known when the Medical Hall was built or who its first occupant was but Pigot's Directory of 1824 lists druggist George Wellington as a druggist of the Borough. Wellington was Portreeve from 1813 until 1820. He was listed in the 1840 Somerset Gazette Directory as George Wellington & Son, druggists of the Borough.
The large building is described in a notice of let (see Gallery) from the 25 March 1830 edition of the Dorset County Chronicle in which the property is described as "A comfortable and Convenient Dwelling House, situate in the centre of Yeovil Borough, now in the occupation of Mr George Wellington; consisting of a dining-room, drawing-room, breakfast parlour, servants' hall, kitchen, back kitchen, six bed-rooms, six attics over the same, laundry, and spacious underground cellars; together with a Lawn in front of the House; a four-stalled Stable, a Garden and Green-house behind."
Wellington committed suicide in 1847 and certainly by the time of the 1851 census the Medical Hall building was occupied by 25-year old chemist and druggist John M Tytherleigh, his sister Ann, a live-in druggist's assistant and a female house servant.
By 1861 35-year old London-born chemist and druggist Thomas Charles Maggs was in residence with his wife Charlotte, their seven young children, an assistant, two apprentices, two house servants (18-year old twin sisters Eliza and Matilda Bartlett) and an errand boy. It was most likeley during Thomas Maggs' tenure of the building that it became known as the Medical Hall, especially after he branched out into dentistry. By 1871 Thomas, now aged 47, was describing himself as a pharmacist and dentist. Charlotte and seven of the children were living with him and two of the sons, 16-year old Frederick and 15-year old William, were listed in the census as chemist's assistants. There was also a pupil pharmacist, presumably an apprentice. In the 1881 census Thomas described his occupation as pharmaceutical chemist and dentist. Charlotte was still with him as well as daughter Catherine. Son Frederick was also describing his occupation as a pharmaceutical chemist and dentist. In addition there were in residence a dental assistant, a chemist's assistant, two chemist's pupils, a cook and a housemaid.
Thomas Maggs used the windows of the Medical Hall to exhibit various fossils and skeletons he had collected. These were displayed below an array of brightly-coloured chemist's jars - the insignia of his trade. The Western Gazette carried a series of letters in the 1930s in which people recalled earlier Yeovil and one correspondent remembered seeing the skeletons of a cat and a rat displayed in Maggs' window which had been found during the demolition of the "old dressing yard carried on in Foot's Yard". Apparently, it was claimed, that the cat had chased a rat deep into the foundations but the hole became narrower and narrower and eventually both rat and cat died.
During the 1880s the Medical Hall was the premises of wholesale and retail chemists Gatward & Wright, who claimed that their business was established in 1795.
But the partnership presumably did not survive much longer since, by the time of the 1891 census, 37-year old pharmaceutical chemist Alfred Wright of Hackney, London, was living there with his wife Jane and new business partner Oswald Galeran, a chemist and druggist. Also in residence were two druggist and chemist's assistants, a housekeeper and a housemaid.
In the 1901 census Alfred, Jane and partner Oswald were all still in residence as well as a chemist's assistant, a cook and a housemaid.
In 1906 the Medical Hall was the premises of Tayler & Brett, as seen in the advertisement below. They specialised in photography and even offered the use of their dark room free to customers.
By 1925 the Medical Hall had become a branch of Boots the Chemist, the chain of chemist stores founded in Nottingham in 1849 by John Boot.
During the Second World War part of the Medical Hall was used as a canteen. Late in the evening of Good Friday 11 April 1941, several delay-action bombs were dropped by the Luftwaffe on the town centre with one completely destroying the old Medical Hall in the Borough. Fortunately there were no casualties as the canteen was closed at the time of the bombing. Immediately after the war the site was cleared and an ornamental garden was laid out, planted with tulips donated by Dutch children who had been evacuated to Yeovil during the Second World War.
Boots rebuilt on the site and the present building dates to 1956. Boots moved out and into new premises in Middle Street and the vacated building was then occupied by a succession of different businesses; Greenfields then Wimpy during the 1980s. Today it is occupied by Burger King.
A notice of let, presumably for the Medical Hall, from the 25 March 1830 edition of the Dorset County Chronicle.
This sketch, made by GE Madeley to illustrate his map of 1831, shows the Borough seen from High Street - roughly the view seen today from the north end of King George Street. The Shambles is to the left and the Market House is to the right. The buildings at far left still stand today, that to the left is Clement White's shop, today's 8 High Street, at this time occupied by draper Benjamin Ryall whose name appears above the door. Behind the Market House and the hanging sign at right is the Medical Hall which at this time was occupied by George Wellington, druggist and chemist.
This early photograph dates to about 1865 and looks towards the Borough from High Street with the end of Middle Street at centre. The three-storey building to right of centre was Thomas Maggs' pharmacy and dental surgery and was named the Medical Hall during the next decade.
This photograph was taken by Yeovil Photographer Jarratt Beckett and published in his 1897 book "Somerset viewed through a Camera". At left is London House, at this time being run by George Wadman. At right is the side of the Medical Hall which, at this time was occupied by wholesale and retail chemists Gatward & Wright. Next door to the Medical Hall was the International Stores that had earlier been the premises of clockmaker, silversmith and jeweller John White Hancock from the 1820s, then his son James Hancock and finally Hancock, Cox & Co, Clock and Watch Makers until about 1894.
An advertisement from Whitby's Yeovil Almanack Advertiser of 1887. Note the very early date that the company was dealing in photographic equipment and materials.
.... and Gatward & Wright didn't just deal in photographic materials! This advertisement is from Whitby's Yeovil Almanack Advertiser of 1900.
This photograph was taken in the 1890's and shows the old Medical Hall at left which was bombed in the Second World War. Right of centre is the entrance to Wine Street and at extreme right is William Maynard's shop in the Borough. At this time the Medical Hall was being run by partners Alfred Wright and Oswald Galeran.
London House, at left, and the Medical Hall photographed around 1900. Gatward & Wright's name is just visible above the awnings.
This advertisement dates to 1906 and shows that by this time Tayler & Brett were using the Medical Hall as their premises, specialising in photography.
An advertising postcard featuring the Medical Hall, issued by Tayler & Brett in 1907.
.... and the reverse of the above postcard, I really wonder what 'Yeovil Family Pills' were for?
A Christmas postcard of the Borough, dated 1911, with the Medical Hall at right.
This postcard is dated 1925 and is almost the same view as the 1911 photograph above. The new War Memorial stands to the left and at this time you could drive your car either side of it. At centre the Midland Bank building has replaced London House but the Medical Hall, now Boots the Chemist, remains.
Troops parade in the Borough in 1914 (there's always one who has to turn around!). The Medical Hall at left and Maynard's Borough Restaurant at right flanking Wine Street.
A photograph of about 1939 looking across the Borough to Middle Street at left, Boots the Chemist in the old Medical Hall, Wine Street and the Borough Restaurant at right. The Medical Hall was destroyed during an air raid in the Second World War.
Probably one of the last photographs ever taken of the old Medical Hall around 1939 before it was destroyed by enemy bombing on Good Friday 11 April 1941.
This postcard dates to 1947 and shows an unusual view of the Borough. Wine Street runs off to the left, High Street is at top left and Middle Street runs to the bottom right corner. The gardens at bottom left mark the site of the bombed Medical Hall.
A 1953 aerial photograph of the Borough featuring the garden on the site of the bombed Medical Hall.
An enlargement of the previous aerial photograph showing the garden in more detail.
View of the Borough - and a double-decker bus - as seen from the gardens. Photographed in the early 1950s.
In this aerial photograph of 1955 the garden has been removed and the site is being prepared for the construction of the new Boots building.
This photograph shows the new Boots building nearing completion in the 1950s.
This postcard from the mid-1960's looks along High Street to the Borough and left of centre is the new Boots the Chemist building that replaced the old Medical Hall.
Courtesy of Chris Rendell
Middle Street seen from the Borough in early 1985. At left the Midland Bank is still there (now HSBC), but who remembers Greenfields? I certainly don't.
That's more like it, photographed around 1985, Wimpy has taken over the old Boots building but I can't remember what type of shop Collingwood's (at right) was.