Head of a Cross
head of a cross
13th century churchyard cross?
In 1854 the Chantry next to the tower of St John's church was demolished in order to increase the churchyard space for burials. and was rebuilt in 1855 in its present position opposite the west door of St John's church.
During the demolition of the Chantry a fine carved head of a cross, probably a thirteenth century churchyard cross, was found built into the wall. It is possible that the cross was in the churchyard of the parish church that preceded the present St John's church.
The reproduction cross head. Photographed in 2013.