the history of yeovil's pubs
125 Park Street / 2 Park Street
Watts' map of Yeovil of 1806 show this area clear of buildings, in fact it was an orchard at the junction of Back Street (now South Street) and Frogg Street (now the northern part of Park Street plus that part of Addlewell Lane lower down the hill than, and parallel to, today's Park Street). In 1806 Park Street hadn't yet been built.
By the time Watts produced his next map of Yeovil, in 1831, Park Street was shown, being largely laid out and completed by Peter Daniell by 1830 and many new houses built along its western side - including the Globe Inn and the cottages either side, seen in the photographs below. This effectively dates the building but the first record for the Globe Inn, as such, is the 1851 census in which Charles Dodge was described as a Glover and Beer Retailer.
The Globe Inn was demolished in the early 1960's, along with most of Park Street, for road widening.
It is likely that the Globe Inn began life as a beerhouse because there is a record of Jane Russ, described as a Retailer of Beer at Park Street in Pigot’s 1842-4 Directory but it cannot be proven that the two establishments are one and the same.
The first listed
was born in
1820, He is
listed in the
1851 census at
the Globe Inn
with his wife,
Louisa, a son
glover and beer
William died in
Not surprisingly there were at least six men called John Smith living in Yeovil in 1861. The John H Smith that ran the Globe was born around 1830 in Worcester, Worcestershire. Unsurprisingly the only positive records I could identify were the census returns for 1861 and 1871 when he was licensee of the Globe Inn.
In the 1861 census he was listed as a grocer, baker and publican, living with his Charlton Horethorne-born wife Ann and their five Yeovil-born children. In 1871 the only differences were that one daughter had left home, another had been born and John's occupation was listed as beer house keeper and glover.
The next licensee, John S Sartin, was born in Corscombe, Dorset about 1841. In the spring of 1861 he married Emily Ann Cook of East Lydford, Somerset, and the newlywed couple were listed in the 1861 census boarding in Park Street, Yeovil. John's occupation was listed as a glove cutter and Emily's as dressmaker. By 1871 John and Emily, still living in Park Street, had three sons; Edward, William and Frederick. John and Emily's occupations remained as glove cutter and dressmaker. By1875 the family were living in the Globe Inn and in the 1881 census John was listed as beerhouse keeper and glover. Two sons had left home but the family was expanded with three daughters; Annie, Lucy and Emily. Kelly's Directory of 1889 still listed John as the Globe's licensee but by the 1891 census John, now resuming his occupation of glove cutter, was living next door to the Globe Inn with Emily and three daughters. The Globe Inn was now being run by John and Emily's eldest son, Edward.
Edward Sartin was born in Yeovil in 1862 and his initial occupation was as a tailor. He moved to London and, at the age of 19, the 1881 census listed him lodging in a boarding house in Marylebone, London, with another young Yeovil-born tailor, Frederick Foot. By 1885 he was back in Yeovil and married Annie. In the 1891 census Edward, now aged 29, was listed as the inn keeper of the Globe Inn where he was living with Annie and their three girls; Nellie, Lillie and Bessie. In all Edward and Annie had eight children, two of whom died, and Edward was licensee of the Globe Inn until at least 1919, a tenancy of at least 28 years. Edward died in June 1932 and Annie died in December 1935. By the time their son Francis was killed in France in 1917, Edward and Annie were living at Hill House, Hendford Hill. Their youngest son Augustus, known as Gus, was killed in France in 1918.
By 1936 William Ricketts was the licensee but his widow, Matilda, assumed the mantle for ten years after his death. Their son, WG Ricketts, was noted as the licensee in 1949 and 1951. William was probably the eldest son of another William Ricketts, publican of Yeovil, but there were two publicans called William Ricketts in Yeovil - one at the Duke of Wellington and the other at the Anchor Inn - and it isn't possible to tell which was the later William's father.
The photograph above was taken around 1955 while road works were being carried out to the main A30 London to the West Country road (yes, really!).
The same scene as above, but after the road works were completed. By this time the Globe Inn had closed and was awaiting demolition. Note how the main A30 traffic is directed around in front of the Globe Inn, down Park Street. Today this section of Park Street is the only part surviving at its original level and is now a small car park. At left, beyond McCreery's shop, is Addlewell Lane, now the main route through to the modern Park Street.
The same scene in 2012. The building at left, for many years was McCreery's bric-a-brac shop and is now a hairdressing salon. The building at right, Eden's Fish & Chips, is now a Chinese takeaway. Where the Globe Inn used to stand is today just a small piece of grassed area.
A closer view of the Globe - notice the corrugated steel roof!
The photograph above was taken at the same time as the previous and shows the Globe Inn awaiting demolition. The cottages either side - in Park Street to the left and South Street to the right, were demolished at the same time. This photograph was taken from the southern end of Bond Street and the short wall at extreme right is that of the Woborn Almshouse, built here in 1860 after its previous building, behind the Pall Tavern, fell into ruin.
A 1928 aerial view of the Globe Inn at centre of the photograph. South Street snakes from centre bottom to top right, Addlewell Lane and Park Street (before it became a 50-yard long car park) run off to the left and Bond Street (marked by Woborn's Almshouses) runs off to the right.
1851 – Charles
Dodge - Glover
1852 – Charles Dodge – Retailer of Beer (Slater's 1852/3 Directory)
1861 – John Smith – Grocer, Baker & Publican (1861 census) listed as Globe Inn
1861 – John Henry Smith – Beer Retailer and Baker (Kelly's 1861 Directory)
1871 – John Smith – Beer House Keeper (1871 census)
1873 – JH Smith - License transfer (Borough Petty Sessions, May)
1873 – James Sartin (Glove Cutter) - License transferred (Borough Petty Sessions, May)
1875 – John Sartin (Kelly's 1875 Directory - Hotels & Inns)
1881 – John Sartin – Beerhouse Keeper & Glover (1881 census) listed as Globe Inn
1889 – John Sartin (Kelly’s 1889 Directory) listed as Globe
1891 – Edward Sartin – Inn Keeper (1891 census) listed as Globe Inn
1895 – Edward Sartin – Beer Retailer (Kelly’s 1895 Directory) pub not named
1897 – Edward Sartin (Kelly’s 1897 Directory) listed as Globe Inn
1901 – Edward Sartin – Innkeeper (1901 census) Globe Inn Public House at 2 Park Street
1902 – Edward Sartin (Kelly’s 1902 Directory) listed as Globe
1911 – Edward Sartin – Publican (1911 census) pub not named
1914 – Edward Sartin (Kelly’s 1914 Directory) listed as Globe PH
1919 – Edward Sartin (Kelly’s 1919 Directory) listed as Globe
1936 – W Ricketts (1936 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe
1938 – William Ricketts (1938 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe
1939 – Matilda Ricketts (Kelly’s 1939 Directory) listed as Globe PH
1947 – M Ricketts (1947 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe
1949 – WG Ricketts (Kelly’s 1949 Directory) listed as Globe
1951 – WG Ricketts (1951 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe
1954 – WA Scott (1954 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe
1957 – HS Bowyer (1957 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe Inn
1960 – HS Bowyer (1960 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe Inn
1965 – Licensee not named (1965 Yeovil Directory) listed as Globe Inn