Yeovil people

John Coombs Hayne

Butcher of the Borough

 

John Coombs Hayne was born in Tintinhull in the autumn of 1848, the son of thatcher Joseph Hayne (1807-1886) and Harriett née Coombs (1811-1892). Joseph and Harriett were to have eight children, all born in Tintinhull; Robert (1832-1911), William (1835-1897), Thomas (1837-1916), Elizabeth (1840-1927), Richard (1844-1919), John Coombs, George (1851-1931) and Herbert (1855-1895).

John was listed with his family in Tintinhull in the 1841 census but by the time of the 1851 census he was living with his brother Robert and his family in Cardiff, Glamorgan. Robert was a baker and John too became a baker and was listed as such in the 1871 census when he was lodging at 15 Canal Parade, Cardiff, with widowed milliner Jane Chown and her daughter.

In the spring of 1874 John married Emily Jane Harris (b1853, Bridgwater) in Cardiff. They were to have four children; Blanche Emily (1880-1903), Florence Champion (1882-1960) and Sidney John (1887-1938). The fourth child died in infancy. In the 1881 census John, Emily and baby Blanche were sharing 11 Edward Place, Cardiff, with master mariner Isaac Service and his family. John gave his occupation as 'Baker, etc'. Their other three children were born in Cardiff and between the birth of Sidney in 1888 and the 1891 census the family had moved to Yeovil. They were listed at 11 High Street (in what is known as the Borough) - see Gallery. John, however, had a complete change of occupation and was listed as a butcher.

Kelly's Directory of 1910 listed "John Coombs Hayne, butcher of 11 High Street" which was repeated in Kelly's 1914 and 1923 editions.

Emily died in Yeovil in 1921, aged 68, and John died in Yeovil on 17 June 1924, aged 76. His will was proved the following March and his effects were valued at £1,513 10s 9d (around £470,000 at 2017's value).

The butcher business was carried on by John and Emily's son Sidney. The business moved from the Borough to its present location at the northern end of Princes Street in 1939.


Gallery


A photograph of the Borough by Jarratt Beckett and published in his 1897 book  "Somerset viewed through a Camera".

 

This postcard is dated 1906 and shows the Wilts & Dorset Bank (now Lloyds TSB) at left, then grocer and tea dealer JH Dawe & Son who were in the Borough from the mid-1870s to 1907 (later Shirley & Somerville) and to the right the white building is John Hayne's butcher's shop.

 


From my collection

From a postcard of around 1909. At right is the butcher's shop of John C Hayne. After the death of his wife Adeline, John Somerville was to marry John Hayne's daughter Florence.

 

This photograph, taken around 1910, is of Hayne's butcher's shop in the Borough (literally) -  the shop was in the white building seen behind the handcart in the previous photograph. Hayne's moved to their current premises at the very northern end of Princes Street in 1939.

 

A photograph by Walter Rendell of Hayne's butcher's shop in Princes Street after Sidney moved from the Borough in 1939.

 

The interior of Hayne's butcher's shop photographed in 2016.