A field originally called Torren
Somewhat south of the junction of Dorchester Road and Hendford Hill was originally a large field called Torren. By 1704 a lease showed that it had been divided into "two closes of arable and pasture ground called Torren, upon Hinford Hill". Between 1719 and 1751 various deeds referred to "Furzey close lying at Hyndford Hill commonly called the Torrett". By 1832 the Register of Electors recorded it as Tarratt's and at this time it was owned by Charles Stephens who resided in Paradise Row in Huish.
It would appear that by the time of the 1842 Tithe Map, Tarratt had been divided into at least eight smaller fields, four of which retained the name Tarratt, in addition to Higher Tarratt, Lower Tarratt, Great Tarratt and Little Tarratt.
The 1846 Tithe Apportionment described Little Tarratt (Parcel 773) as arable measuring 3a 3r 20p and noted that Charles Parsons was the owner / occupier. Little Tarratt was bounded on the north by Little Tarratt Lane and East Coker Road, on the west by a field access track, on the south by Great Tarratt (Parcel 772) and on the east by Cocked Hat (Parcel 774).
As seen in the aerial photograph of 1946 below, Little Tarratt was arable.
During the late 1990s, in advance of the proposed St Margaret's Somerset Hospice site an evaluation by means of 5 linear trenches was undertaken. No archaeological features were located and no finds other than modern china and brick were recovered. Today the former Little Tarratt is occupied by St Margaret's Hospice and lies in East Coker parish. The name is also recalled in Little Tarratt Lane.
For details on
acres, roods and
MAPs & Aerial Photographs
Map based on the 1842 Tithe Map with field names added from the 1846 Tithe Award. Little Tarratt is at top right.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed over a modern aerial photograph of the area. Although the field boundaries do not align precisely, remember that the 1846 survey was undertaken by hand using primitive surveying equipment.
The 1946 aerial photograph with East Coker Road running from bottom left to centre top, Dorchester Road at top right and Little Tarratt Lane running between the two at the top. Little Tarratt is at centre.
The modern satellite image of the former Little Tarrat now occupied by St Margaret's Hospice. The rest of the image has been lightened to make Little Tarrat stand out.